type 2 for a year now reducing meds

gloucesterbri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
dont really have any dislikes
Hi i havent posted anything here but thought i would share my good news with you to give those of you some insperation.
My blood sugar has been really good with my july hc1a test coming back at 35mmol i was only diagnosed diabetic beginning of this year so shocked my doctors on how controlled i have been.
My glucose levels have been quite low at night while working shifts and my gp wants to see if i can controll my diabetes without the gliclazide i was on two 40mg tablets a day now i will be trying to manidge just on two metformin a day my last reading on my glucose monitor without the glic today has been 7 which i am very happy with considering its my first day on reduced meds.
if i can keep myself under control with diet metformin and going to the gym i will be happy as i wont be at risk of hypos and meens that if and when i go diving on holiday again it wont be a issue and i can enjoy my workouts like i did befor i was diagnosed without worrying of causing a hypo through intensive training.

Reactions: 9 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your excellent control. You have clearly got your head round all this, and I wish you all the best for the future with reduced meds. Long may it continue.

Reactions: 2 people

gloucesterbri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
thanks guys i will keep the forum informed on my progress its only a two month trial but im hopefull

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done!

What have you been doing to get such good results?

:)

gloucesterbri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All i have been doing it keeping a eye on what sugar is in all my food i do a very physical job lots of lifting and carrying i have also by cutting out all sugar as much as possible lost nearly 4 stone in weight.
I woke up with a glucose reading of 6.6 ths morning and that after having a treat if fish and chips.
Im hoping to get that fasting glucose level down to what i was on the glic through a intensive gym session 2 hours a day 4 times a week back to what i was doing befor i was diagnosed

gloucesterbri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
well thought i would up date you guys my lunch time reading pre lunch was 7.3 i had 1 sandwich seeded holemeal bread of course corned beef 2 pakets hoola hoops and 1 banana and a pepsi max my pre evening main meal reading is 5.4 so looks like im coping without the glic so far so good

gloucesterbri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Well trial period without the glic is going well im averidging around 6.5 befor breakfast at the mo

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I think it's great that your blood glucose levels have improved and you are trying going off the gliclazide, but (and no offense intended), that doesn't sound like a diet particularly aimed at combating type 2 diabetes, with carb loaded food like bread, battered fish, chips, and bananas. Are you employing any kind of strategy with regard to your diet? What I did was monitor my post meal blood glucose (1 and 2 hours after) and reduced the grams of carbs I had in meals until my blood glucose did not rise above what a non-diabetic's level would be. It seems to have worked so far. Good luck.

gloucesterbri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The bread isnt too bad as its seeded whole grain not like white which is too refined fish and chips i only have as a treat once in a blue moon most of my meals are made fresh so i know whats going in them ive adopted a more of a medeteranian diet which works well for me ive found pasta doesnt really affect my levels or potatoes but all in moderation.
You have to find a balenced diet at the end of the day bananas are ok as long as they arnt too ripe as the riper they are the more sugar they have in them so mine are always slighly green

Last edited by a moderator:

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
You're lucky that potatoes and pasta and bread and bananas don't affect your blood glucose. How high do they make your blood glucose go after a meal?

gloucesterbri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Im quite lucky i spike to 7 befor coming back down to 5 dropping 4 stone of weight has helped and intend to drop another 2 to bring me down to 11 im back at the gym training 8 hours a week so shouldnt be long and this will all help with glucose levels

gloucesterbri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tonight i was 5.4 befor i had my lunch 1 sanwich 2pkts walkers crisps 1 banana and was 6.4 after.
i should drop back down to around 5 when i have my breakfast usualy shreaded wheat with apricots

gloucesterbri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When i first found out in january i was diabetic my readings were around 10 to 14 after meals and 9 in the morning now most mornings im around 5 to 6 and 5.6 to 6.8 after meals

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Wow, that's really good. I hope you manage to stay off the gliclazide - sounds like you probably will. I think I'm stuck with low carbing until I lose more weight. I increased my carbs by only a small amount for a week while on vacation last month and my morning fasting levels started creeping up. I reduced the carbs and they went back down again after a couple of days. On the other hand, I quite enjoy the low carb diet and it got me off the metformin.

gloucesterbri

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I guess it just comes down to what works for you we all have diffetent tolerences but keep up the good work m8