Type 2 Injections

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a little confused... I've read a few threads regarding Type 2 diabetics that are injecting insulin. I always thought Type 2's made enough insulin, but that their body was resistant to it?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Patch,

There can be many reasons why type 2s are prescribed insulin. In some cases their pancreases might not be able to produce enough insulin so it needs to be supplemented, or they may have followed the government healthy eating guidelines and as a result have blood sugar levels and insulin resistance that is so high that insulin becomes the only possibility, or they may have a GP that simply isn't aware that there is any treatment other than insulin (fortunately not too many GPs like that but there are some out there as some of our members can testify). There are also some people who decide that they are not going to let diabetes change their lifestyles one little bit and continue an unhealthy eating pattern that will inevitably lead to insulin as their only possibility.

Insulin resistance remains a problem for them whether the insulin is injected or self-produced, so they also usually need metformin and/or glitazones.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Dennis - does that mean someone that is insulin resistant could be prescribed EXTRA insulin? That sounds crazy to me...

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi Patch,

Someone who has a very high degree of insulin resistance needs to take high doses of metformin or one of the glitazone meds and also needs to exercise and lose weight. There is a limit to how much meds can be taken, and the exercise and weight loss route takes quite a long time to reduce resistance. Also there is a limit to how much insulin a pancreas can produce. So in a situation where a patient is on maximum meds and just can't produce any more insulin, and has increasing BS, then the only recourse is to injected insulin until the insulin resistance can be reduced enough so that the body's own insulin is able to cope.

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
I'm begining to think i come under this heading if you read my thread 'Am i doing the right thing' i'm already taking a load of med's and low carb diet but my blood sugar readings are always high,i've read the Byetta thread and was wondering if when i see the D.nurse thursday if i should ask about being put on it :?: shan x

Jay3109

Many type 2's who have been on drugs such as Gliclazide eventually go on to insulin therapy since the Gliclazide eventually destroys the insulin producing cells. The establishment tries to keep this unpleasant little side effect quiet, but it happens. Even if you eat healthily etc, if you are on Glic, you may eventually need insulin

Trinkwasser

Patch said:
Thanks Dennis - does that mean someone that is insulin resistant could be prescribed EXTRA insulin? That sounds crazy to me...

Some of the quantities certain Type 2s use would stun a horse and kill a Type 1 stone dead

JAD337

Hi Patch

As it happens, I am a T2 insulin user. I also still take 4 gliclazide and 2 metformin a day. I went on to a long lasting insulin (lasts 24 hours in the body) last summer because my BG was slowly climbing up but more importantly (for me anyway) my body weight was gradually dropping and my BMI was below 18.

Now happily eating a balanced diet, my BMI is 19.5 and my fasting BG is usually between 4 and 6.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Dislikes
Hi JAD,

That's pretty good control - long may it last.

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
When my gran moved in with us (type 2) she was on tablets - not sure which, but she was on insulin for years after that. She lived to 84 and the list of causes of death on her death certificate was as long as your arm! Always knew she was a stubborn old so and so but yeesh! most of the causes listed would have killed half a dozen other people! Now I know where I get it from :mrgreen: