Type 2 Insulin & Migraine, How do I cope?

nr2k

Hi, I am now finally going onto insulin to control type 2. A low dose of Lantus once a day. I also suffer from migraine, and can often not eat or drink anything due to the associated nausea. The usual way I cope is to take a migraine pill and sleep it off. Now I am going to be on insulin I am really worried that if I get a migraine I will also end up with a hypo. The advice from the nurse is to carry on with the insulin, even if I have a migraine, and eat, or sip a sugary drink. I know that if I have a severe migraine I will not be able to do this. I feel that I can not go ahead and start to take the insulin, if I am not able to cope when I get a migraine. How can I deal with this?

Katharine

The lantus is to help your pancreas deal with background high blood sugar levels and on its own it is not designed to cover meals. You should therefore not get hypos even if you don't eat for say 24 hours or so.

Is there anything you could use for the nausea. Suppositories or injections can work if you are as debilitated as you seem to be with these migraines.

stabatha

I agree with katherine, although a type 1, If I ever get a migraine and can't eat I only stop my fast acting , never the slow and I haven't had a hypo yet whilst suffering a migraine. and as you are on a low dose anyway it shouldn't be a problem.

SilverAndEbony

My BF gets bad migraines - he ends up vomiting for 12 hours at least sometimes! Thankfully I'm the one with type 2 diabetes so he doesn't the problem of managing his blood glucose levels when he's ill.

He has discussed his migraines, especially the nausea, with our GP. She has prescribed him some powders which are faster acting than migraine tablets and include a good anti-sickness drug. You can buy the powder (I forget what it is called!) from the pharmacist, but you have to have a note from your doctor or something as it's very strong. It is also very expensive, but I would hope you could get it on prescription. Martin hasn't had one of his 2-days-off-work migraines since he started using the new medication. 8)
I'd suggest seeing your GP about the migraines to see what they can do to help on that front.

I hope you get your migraines sorted. Take care,

SilverAndEbony