Type 2 Type 2, Metformin And Chronic Kidney Disease

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
Anyone else with Chronic kidney disease Stage 3 moving into Stage 4, With any experience of taking Metformin? Or who’s been told not to take it?

M

Moggely

I wish i could answer that question for you Roseanne as it sounds quite serious but I can't and hoping there is someone in here with the knowledge to help in some way. It must be very worrying for you. I was taking Metformin for 5 weeks but gave it away not only because of the side effects but because i have a fatty liver and it says not to take it if you have a fatty liver (dangerous ) But as to whether it affects the Kidneys i wouldn't have a clue. Hoping someone can help you. Wishing you all the best:)

Robrunner

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Anyone else with Chronic kidney disease Stage 3 moving into Stage 4, With any experience of taking Metformin? Or who’s been told not to take it?

Something really to discuss with your GP. However, impaired kidney function would mean that the chemicals in metformin cannot be excreted from the body. If you do go on dialysis this could become quite a problem I would imagine.

If your dosage was very high and the excretion of metformin was affected then this could lead to lactic acidosis which does have a whole host of complications and effects on the body which isn't good. If you were to show signs of this you would need to see a doctor ASAP.

You can read about lactic acidosis here: https://patient.info/doctor/lactic-acidosis

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
kidney conditions are so serious that only kidney experts can advice you ...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I discussed this with my doctor his take on it and the guide lines say that it is dosage dependent that is if on the minimum dosage of metformin and your EGFR is I think 50 or above it is reasonably safe . But it would be best if you were to discuss this with your GP . My EGFR is 50 and I am taking 500 mg of metformin a day and my doctor and I are happy with that at the moment. But if my EGFR drops to 48 or below then that may change things.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Something really to discuss with your GP. However, impaired kidney function would mean that the chemicals in metformin cannot be excreted from the body. If you do go on dialysis this could become quite a problem I would imagine.

If your dosage was very high and the excretion of metformin was affected then this could lead to lactic acidosis which does have a whole host of complications and effects on the body which isn't good. If you were to show signs of this you would need to see a doctor ASAP.

You can read about lactic acidosis here: https://patient.info/doctor/lactic-acidosis
That’s what they’re telling me. But I also have heart failure and in recovery from that (pacemaker implant, vet blockers), without Metformin I’m unable to exercise, which is hard enough anyway with max heart rate of 80, and a lot of the research on it is inconclusive. Correlation isn’t causation. I’m making decisions but it’d be good to know if others have had same advice.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
That’s what they’re telling me. But I also have heart failure and in recovery from that (pacemaker implant, vet blockers), without Metformin I’m unable to exercise, which is hard enough anyway with max heart rate of 80, and a lot of the research on it is inconclusive. Correlation isn’t causation. I’m making decisions but it’d be good to know if others have had same advice.
I'm not in your position but metformin helps me walk too. When it works.

Like @Freema said. Only a kidney expert can advise you about the safety of metformin, trialled and tested. To date.

My genes and sex hormones are currently protecting my kidneys.
So it's not inevitable that diabetes damages the kidneys.
Has other factors caused your organ problems or have you had decades of poorly controlled diabetes?

Metformin doesn't repair diabetes complications but definitely excellent for prevention.

I hope this helps.

Shahnaz2357

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I discussed this with my doctor his take on it and the guide lines say that it is dosage dependent that is if on the minimum dosage of metformin and your EGFR is I think 50 or above it is reasonably safe . But it would be best if you were to discuss this with your GP . My EGFR is 50 and I am taking 500 mg of metformin a day and my doctor and I are happy with that at the moment. But if my EGFR drops to 48 or below then that may change things.
What does EGFR mean> and how is it calculated?

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Roseanne01
Hi, I have CKD but it has been stable for a long time with eGFR = 60 so borderline stage 2/3. GP doesn't believe it is due to diabetes as it has been around 60 for at least 15 years and pre-diagnosis. My records don't go back any further. I tolerate 1000mg of Metformin without issue. Fortunately, I don't have any other conditions like heart failure, hypertension etc.
@SZB2357
eGFR is glomerular filtration rate. The 'e' means estimated from creatinine level. It measures how quickly the kidneys do the job of filtration. It is dependent on age, race and sex and weight as well.
https://ukidney.com/nephrology-resources/egfr-calculator

Reactions: Struma

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Roseanne01
Hi, I have CKD but it has been stable for a long time with eGFR = 60 so borderline stage 2/3. GP doesn't believe it is due to diabetes as it has been around 60 for at least 15 years and pre-diagnosis. My records don't go back any further. I tolerate 1000mg of Metformin without issue. Fortunately, I don't have any other conditions like heart failure, hypertension etc.
@SZB2357
eGFR is glomerular filtration rate. The 'e' means estimated from creatinine level. It measures how quickly the kidneys do the job of filtration. It is dependent on age, race and sex and weight as well.
https://ukidney.com/nephrology-resources/egfr-calculator
My CKD seems to be due to stress/high blood pressure. Egfr dropped suddenly when my dad died and two years later when I was assaulted at school. 85 down to 55, then 55 down to 30. Each time one test to the next. As for diabetes ctors after 30 plus years I’ve been told so many 'truths' about treating diabetes and different medications that I no longer believe anything doctors tell me. Thanks. My next Nephrogy appointment needs get be fun.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Like @Freema said. Only a kidney expert can advise you about the safety of metformin, trialled and tested. To date.

Has other factors caused your organ problems or have you had decades of poorly controlled diabetes?

Metformin doesn't repair diabetes complications but definitely excellent for prevention.

I hope this helps.
My diabetes didn’t cause my kidney disease. See repkybfyrther diwn. I do not trust doctors, or lots of research, particularly American. After thirty years of being told this works, then the opposite works I’ve got to the point I take money st with a grain of salt. I like British research best, rarely some big money making machine behind it. Ta.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Roseanne01
That's a big drop. I really feel for you. 30 is low and well on the path to eventual dialysis. I guess you already know that. The drop seems almost like the result of an injury. High blood pressure is bad for kidneys but it usually takes years to manifest. It is a double edged sword because failing kidneys are no good for blood pressure either. You really need to find a nephrologist that you are comfortable with. This is getting a bit too serious for a general query on a forum. Unfortunately, I can only relate my experiences with CKD which at the moment are stable. Good luck with it.
Glenn

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My diabetes didn’t cause my kidney disease. See repkybfyrther diwn. I do not trust doctors, or lots of research, particularly American. After thirty years of being told this works, then the opposite works I’ve got to the point I take money st with a grain of salt. I like British research best, rarely some big money making machine behind it. Ta.
Bless you.
Some gems of information have been posted in the past on here.
Well worth using search button on forum with kidney as search word.
Due to no real concern personally I've read them and concentrated on heart or other diabetic problems like gallstones etc.
Will you do a search?
If having trouble tag my name here for support.
Others may remember some and may post, still.
An excellent idea, to find out more.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
@Roseanne01
That's a big drop. I really feel for you. 30 is low and well on the path to eventual dialysis. I guess you already know that. The drop seems almost like the result of an injury. High blood pressure is bad for kidneys but it usually takes years to manifest. It is a double edged sword because failing kidneys are no good for blood pressure either. You really need to find a nephrologist that you are comfortable with. This is getting a bit too serious for a general query on a forum. Unfortunately, I can only relate my experiences with CKD which at the moment are stable. Good luck with it.
Glenn
I live in country NSW. Not many choices. Not unhappy with my Dr, just wondering if anyone else has been here and what they’re experience is. Well aware it’s serious, but having to make quality of life fe decisions is a wee bit fraught. They don’t really know what caused those drops. Given my cardiomyopathy is also idiopathic, and my diabetes has been well controlled fr thirty years I’m thnking auto immune. But even knowing that is no help really. I guess I’ll go do the search suggested. Thanks Glenn.

Reactions: Freema

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bless you.
Some gems of information have been posted in the past on here.
Well worth using search button on forum with kidney as search word.
Due to no real concern personally I've read them and concentrated on heart or other diabetic problems like gallstones etc.
Will you do a search?
If having trouble tag my name here for support.
Others may remember some and may post, still.
An excellent idea, to find out more.
Will do. Thank you.

Reactions: ickihun and Freema

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

I hope this helps.
Other factors. My diabetes has always been well controlled, except when I’ve been ill. Now on insulin as. Can’t afford hypos - bad for heart failure. Finding that bit really easy. No hypos n over three months, previously one a day. I think I’m a conundrum.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I live in country NSW. Not many choices. Not unhappy with my Dr, just wondering if anyone else has been here and what they’re experience is. Well aware it’s serious, but having to make quality of life fe decisions is a wee bit fraught. They don’t really know what caused those drops. Given my cardiomyopathy is also idiopathic, and my diabetes has been well controlled fr thirty years I’m thnking auto immune. But even knowing that is no help really. I guess I’ll go do the search suggested. Thanks Glenn.
Wish we could help you more. Unfortunately, my own experience doesn't exactly match yours. I see you're from St Georges Basin. Lovely spot. I used to go there annually when my boys were kids. Loved water skiing on the lake and the boat trip over to Sussex for dinner. Hope you find a happy outcome.
Glenn

Reactions: Freema

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wish we could help you more. Unfortunately, my own experience doesn't exactly match yours. I see you're from St Georges Basin. Lovely spot. I used to go there annually when my boys were kids. Loved water skiing on the lake and the boat trip over to Sussex for dinner. Hope you find a happy outcome.
Glenn
It’s great and growing like you wouldn’t believe. Proper shops like Aldi, Woolies, Coles, and no shortage of eateries. Sussex Inlet is a pale shadow.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Other factors. My diabetes has always been well controlled, except when I’ve been ill. Now on insulin as. Can’t afford hypos - bad for heart failure. Finding that bit really easy. No hypos n over three months, previously one a day. I think I’m a conundrum.
I'm on insulin too and very good basal which is triple strength which I need less of if using metformin but IBS causing problems for metformin to work. Hence I've added weight due to not being on it. Just had to stop metformin..... again.
I have to see diabetic unit but had sickness and diarrhea yesterday and undeveloped son has been promised a meet up with his nana today. She won't see him on her own, I have to be there.
I'm pulled in too many directions, at mo. Senior school starter hasn't his uniform yet either. I'm awaiting a major op on stomach so preparing for that too. No help from family. Just they want from me. Nothing back.