1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2 on insulin help needed

Discussion in 'Type 2 with Insulin' started by Sadie_k, Mar 27, 2019.

1. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Hello there - could you post a link to your statements about calories per kilo, please? I weight 48.5kg (based my calculation on 49 for ease), but eat about 2500 calories a day to mark time, regarding my weight, so 24cal per kilo is way off for me. I am also reading more and more that the calories in/calories out hypothesis is flawed. If you would like to read more of the, Zoe Harcombe has written about it quite extensively.

My Low Carb diet is certainly not a starvation diet. For a female of 160cm ans 48.5 kg, eating 2500 calories a day on last count up, it would be hard to categorise that as starvation. I don't chase nutritional ketosis, but I daresay I do have blood ketones from time to time, but those are from nutrritional ketosis, certainly not from ketoacidosis, which is a totally diffeent and very dangerous condition. Yes, I am very slim, but I am not starving, by any stretch of the imagination.

Regarding lipids, have you done any reading of Professor Ken Sikaris's work at all, or viewed any of his presentations on YouTube? I find his way of presenting and explaining lipids and so on to be very good. I learned a great deal from him.

From a personal perspective, I am in a happy position of not having to take exogenous insulin, or any diabetes medications for that matter, but from my reading, I understand that whilst it can be a very successful treatment for T2d, for those with insulin resistance (sadly very common in T2), it can lead to quite high doses and sometimes weight gain.

I'm pleased you have founf a way to keep your own condition in a place you favour, but as you can tell from my responses, I'm not with you on the approach, or even on some of your personal understanding. My understanding, in a few areas, is quite, quite different.

2. luna50

luna50 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

DCUKMOD. Thank you for your comment

The documentation for my statement You can find it in the scientifically literature:

“PRINCIPLES OF MEDICAL BIOCHEMISTRY” on page nr.: 562!

By: Gerhard Meisenberg and William H. Simmons, 2nd. Edition

I know, especially You “Moderators” are very sensitive if someone talk against LC-diet.

You recommend this diet to every person who has DM T2. It is wrong.

I wrote where this diet is OK.

It is by PREDIABETES and on the beginning of DM T2.

The persons bodies are very little insulin resistant and the body can manage this unnecessarily starvation.

You can like my statement or not, but it is truth.

I do not need a better foundation for LC diet, because my knowledge is from science and not from particular advertising commercial interest.

Have a nice day and stay in live and STOP to THREATEN me without reason.

Post edited by moderator to remove unsubstantiated claim about low carb diet.

• Funny Funny x 2
    #22 luna50, Jun 25, 2019 at 11:36 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  3. luna50

luna50 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

DCUKMOD. Thank you for your comment

The link is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

The 24 Cal / Kg weight is a THUMB RULE and it is by REST. You must all day stay in the bed and do nothing.

It is an ease way to lose weight.

You can find this in: “PRINCIPLES OF MEDICAL BIOCHEMISTRY” on page nr.: 552!

By: Gerhard Meisenberg and William H. Simmons, 2nd. Edition.

You eat 2500 Cal and it is about twice of Your BMR.

If You have a physical activity then You must eat more.

PS- Sorry I have read wrong the comment from Bruneria. I read it as that is from You.

Post edited by moderator to remove disparaging comments about another member.

#23 luna50, Jun 25, 2019 at 12:03 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
  4. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Hi @luna50

The reference you gave is to a student medical text published in 2006.
    I strongly suggest that you update your information sources.
    Understanding of human metabolism in regard to type 2 diabetes has progressed leaps and bounds since then, and much of the information you have quoted (for instance that humans need 130g of dietary carbohydrate) is disproven and obsolete. Your statement that people starve without carbohydrates has never been accurate, and I would dismiss any information source that makes that statement. If they get that wrong, what else are they getting wrong?

I suggest that you read up on gluconeogenesis, as well as the subjects I recommended to you in my last post.

You are welcome to express your opinions, provided you supply references and are willing to debate them in a polite fashion. If not, then your posts will be deleted, for the reasons I gave above.

Edited to add:
    I also suggest that you familiarise yourself with the forum rules (there is a link to them in my signature). Personal attacks and insults are not permitted on this forum. Posts which break the forum rules are subject to moderation, whether by myself or another moderator.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #24 Brunneria, Jun 25, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  5. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’ve been eating less than 20g daily carbohydrate for eighteen months, and less than 5g daily for two months. Never been stronger or healthier. I think I’ll postpone choosing a coffin for the time being ;)

It goes without saying that we are all unique and have different views and expectations of our own health, but it is most definitely not accurate to assert that all humans will die if they don’t eat carbohydrate. In fact it’s complete balderdash.

• Winner Winner x 1
    #25 Jim Lahey, Jun 25, 2019 at 12:32 PM
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  6. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Wow !!!!!! Can’t believe how this thread has been derailed as it has.
    Surely the OP will have lost any confidence in this forum.
    Is this really the best WE can do? It’s embarrassing to witness some the posts above.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. NaijaChick

NaijaChick Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you so much!!!!!!! This information has been useful.

8. gillytee31

gillytee31 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have a disagreement with the section about controlling BG only with insulin. I have been on insulin for 3 years and cannot exercise because of medical reasons, yet am still managing to lose weight. I have lost 23 lbs since beginning of January.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook