Type 2 on insulin M3

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've been t2 on insulin for the past 9 years, but am on other medication as well as have CKD stage 4 and bowel problems at present. The gastric consultant has put me on a course of prednisolone 5mg (8 pills a day, reducing by 1 a week for 8 weeks)and also Pentasa sachets x 2 a day. Usually my blood sugars are quite good, about 6.5 in a.m (I usually inject about 9 Insulin M3) and about 8-10 in the evening (inject about 10 - 12). But since going on the steroids for 5 days now my sugars are up to 18 - 20 in the evening. I have upped my injection to 22 this evening but wonder if this is too high to do all at once. Do you think it would be wise to speak to someone at my diabetic clinic, or will my sugars come down as my body gets used to the steroids? Thanks for any help.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Yes your team should be supporting you if your not experienced with steriods and insulin use.
Test your bgs more often and any sweating test incase of hypo from 22units. Keep hypo treatment near bed through the night til youve settled down into new unit amounts.
Your team may change you to mdi instead of mixed insulin which isnt as flexible.
Give them as many test results as possible.
What is your meter reading at mo?

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you. BS is 20.4 @ 9.40 pm, but didn't finish supper until 7.40 ish. Will test through evening, but have a sugary drink by my bed at all times if need be.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. BS is 20.4 @ 9.40 pm, but didn't finish supper until 7.40 ish. Will test through evening, but have a sugary drink by my bed at all times if need be.

FrancesK - Your condition is pretty complex, as you know, so you really could be best advised to be in close contact with your health care team.

Before talking to them tomorrow, it could be a good idea to write a list of the questions you need answered, including any "what ifs", like "what if my numbers go up?", and how to manage yourself as your dosage changes each week. I would also ask if there is a blood number at or over which you should be calling 111, if out of hours. You are doing the right thing by doing lots of testing.

Please don't be panicked by my response, but with so much going on, and a few meds in the mix, it strikes me it would be tough to have too much info to hand.

Kittycat_7_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Yes contact your diabetes team, you've upped your insulin which is sensible, just be careful because of hypos.
Monitor a lot more frequently.
I've just had steroids and they spiked my blood sugars, I'm not on insulin at the moment.
Sorry your going thru this.
Keep us updated please.
Take care

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you very much, I'll try and talk to my diabetes team tomorrow - and keep testing! And will write down questions.

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just to let you know I talked to a nurse at the Diabetic centre I attend, and she said that I had done the right thing to bump up the insulin, and keep testing, and any worries whatsoever I'm to contact them again. I consider myself very lucky to have such good advice. Thank you for your advice on here, I spent hours reading the forums last night, and feel sure that all the advice is going to help me control my diabetes much better. I've already started on the low carb diet, and am finding the posts very helpful. Thank you all.