Type 2 Without Drugs

sherbert

I have asked the question below on another posting, without reply does anyone know????

Is it inevitable to end up on medicine? i have been diagnosed for 2 years and not had to take any, although my doctor seems to think i will have to in the future. It doesn't bother me but i do read some diabetics have never needed medicine is this true?????
Does anyone have an answer ?????

All the best
Albert

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
All doctors/diabetic nurses say that you will need in the future but I don't know of any research. My brother has been drug free for three years so far.I think a lot depends on your health,the older we get the more likely we are to develop an illness which will escalate our diabetes thus necessitating diabetic drugs to control it.

Knowledge is the key to control

minoucha

Albert,

It is currently more or less inevitable, because once you are diabetic your immune system is impaired and if you suffer any other serious illness (e.g. flu which is why you are offered flu vaccinations)and are hospitalised then you may even have to go on insulin. Diabetes is a progressive disease. I was diagnosed type 2 in 2001, my doctor wanted me to go immediately on tablets but I managed to lose 2 stones which put me back within the normal blood sugar range. However you cannot get rid of diabetes by normal dieting alone. My blood sugars gradually crept up and I have been taking metformin since Christmas. My doctor told me that most Type 2s who start off treatment with diet alone end up having to take medication after 5 years. Some but not all will go on to take insulin eventually. Hope this helps!

Progressive condition, so chances are that eventually you will have to go on meds.

However, watching your diet and exercising will help no end in the meantime.

Good luck!

sherbert

Thanks for your replies, i was hoping there may have been someone who may have managed 5,10,15 20 years without drugs. I have Heart Disease as well as Diabetes and i am happy taking prescribed drugs, it is curiosity as much as anything.

all the best

Albert