Prediabetes Type 2

Joeypritch

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes when pregnant which i now think is potentially type two. I had the blood test 8 weeks after the birth and my doctor said it was on the cusp of prediabetes and she wasn't worried as it was still soon after birth so she'd test again in a year.

But I've been randomly taking my numbers and they don't really seem to be great. Fasting is usually in the 6s, sometimes 7, after 'normal' food it goes as high as 9.8, if I'm sensible and eat low Carb numbers are still in the 6s after food, even for things like eggs. In fact over the last week I've not tested and seen any numbers less that 6. I walk every day and have a baby now so am pretty busy generally and up allot in the night so don't sleep as well as I used too. Also breast feeding - not sure if that affects blood sugar??

I plan to continue to eat low Carb but am wandering firstly if it's bad for me to have numbers constantly higher than 6? Will these go down with time if I keep up the Low Carb?? And if perhaps I should ask to be retested? I realise my numbers aren't insanely high, it's more of a worry to me that they're consistently high. Or is it normal to be sitting in the 6s regardless of food/exercise??

I realise I should probably speak to a doctor about this but you guys are all very knowledgeable and I appriciate experience