Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6 this morning.
@Bluetit1802 I'm on that batch too. I haven't found it the most consistent batch I've ever used though my numbers have come down slightly from the previous high reading batch several of us had. I do sometimes feel like they are reading about 0.5 too high as my hands and big toe get really cold under 5 ( usually around 4.6) and sometimes I've had that and still been a bit over 5

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@cold ethyl I am still checking it against my Accu-chek at each testing time. Still reading higher by on average 0.5. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days. What is making me concerned is my pre-lunch and pre-tea readings, which really are going up from last month's average with no obvious reason.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@cold ethyl I am still checking it against my Accu-chek at each testing time. Still reading higher by on average 0.5. I'll keep an eye on it for a few days. What is making me concerned is my pre-lunch and pre-tea readings, which really are going up from last month's average with no obvious reason.

I think we just have to accept that these are only a guide - though of course it is worrying if things start to shift upwards consistently. It would help if we could have more frequent HbA1c tests- I've to wait till January for my next one, a full six months since last one, then as they apprently have to tick boxes annually I get another just two months later. My surgery need to get their act together soon or I am off- today was my flu jab and I got a lecture about why there were so many flashing messages on her screen about me- she called me a poor patient!! So is it my fault that their system flagged me up as only 48 so not entitled to a jab? Or that I hadn't made a diabetic review appointmemt when I was told not to present till New Year by nurse and GP? I was also warned that I had to present for a smear test as mine overdue( I know I need to go , but surely the choice is mine?). I was so angry by time I came out as at no point did she talk about the jab, side effects or contraindications etc which surely is the role of a flu clinic? Rant over.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What an awful experience for you...that's just disgraceful

I was just so cross as it seems like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. The place was chaos with a lot of elderly patients in wheelchairs and on mobility aids trying to get upstairs or in one lift- as surgery was closed surely they could have held one clinic downstairs in the admin room? I managed to read the tiny poster they'd stuck on wall in waiting room about flu info, but don;t think many of the others would have done so. It just all seems so target driven these days that real caring and thought has been thrown out of the window. I attend the same surgery for CBT support via local mental health trust and it is empty now that they have switched to phone consultations as primary care response- I noted 6 locum GP names on board and apparently another partner is off to NZ soon, after two senior partners retired in June, along with DN, who has yet to be replaced. I am just grateful for this place as I've had far better information and support from people who have no vested interest in my health care than from my GP practice who I assume are raking in the cash for my tick box contributions.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we just have to accept that these are only a guide - though of course it is worrying if things start to shift upwards consistently. It would help if we could have more frequent HbA1c tests- I've to wait till January for my next one, a full six months since last one, then as they apprently have to tick boxes annually I get another just two months later. My surgery need to get their act together soon or I am off- today was my flu jab and I got a lecture about why there were so many flashing messages on her screen about me- she called me a poor patient!! So is it my fault that their system flagged me up as only 48 so not entitled to a jab? Or that I hadn't made a diabetic review appointmemt when I was told not to present till New Year by nurse and GP? I was also warned that I had to present for a smear test as mine overdue( I know I need to go , but surely the choice is mine?). I was so angry by time I came out as at no point did she talk about the jab, side effects or contraindications etc which surely is the role of a flu clinic? Rant over.

Not good, Ethyl. I do agree about more frequent HbA1c tests, which is why I asked for an interim one after 3 months rather than wait 6 months. My nurse agreed and I got one. Your surgery seems to be very poor. Is there another in your area you could change to?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not good, Ethyl. I do agree about more frequent HbA1c tests, which is why I asked for an interim one after 3 months rather than wait 6 months. My nurse agreed and I got one. Your surgery seems to be very poor. Is there another in your area you could change to?

I have had some great service over the years ( mainly when I didn't need to be using it as often) but my GP left in June and I think time has come to ask around friends for their experiences of other practices in town.
I do think that they are very quick to shift you off more regular testing- I had a diagnostic HBa1c then a much lower one at 2 months and was told you are doing great , see you in NY which seemed very hasty to me as surely we all do great initially with the panic and fear as motivators? I appreciate there are costs but surely it is better to keep on top of levels through regular monitoring than throw the fire brigade at it months later? I would happily contribute to a test and ones like B12 test that my GP refuses to do.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Kim. I am clutching at straws here! It's awful when you start to distrust your meter. I know we are only looking at trends as T2's but when my trends start marching upwards for no apparent reason I have to find something to blame. ;)
I certainly know what you mean - now I'm getting regular 4's I really don't appreciate seeing the 5's, eve. Though they are ok!! Just made me stop and think about the 0.5 variation upwards, could that mean my 4.2 could have actually been in the 3.8 region ?!! Crikey:eek:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had some great service over the years ( mainly when I didn't need to be using it as often) but my GP left in June and I think time has come to ask around friends for their experiences of other practices in town.
I do think that they are very quick to shift you off more regular testing- I had a diagnostic HBa1c then a much lower one at 2 months and was told you are doing great , see you in NY which seemed very hasty to me as surely we all do great initially with the panic and fear as motivators? I appreciate there are costs but surely it is better to keep on top of levels through regular monitoring than throw the fire brigade at it months later? I would happily contribute to a test and ones like B12 test that my GP refuses to do.

Cold ethyl - I have this site bookmarked, just in case I feel the need. It talks about an admin fee, but every time I have looked at the site there is a voucher to waive it. http://privatebloodtests.co.uk/

Alternatively, if you want more frequent HbA1cs, and are willing to pay, you could do a home test. http://www.millermedicalsupplies.co...ba1c-and-diabetes-monitoring-10-test-kit-4838

That option is for 10 tests (the expiry date was just over a year, at the date of receipt. I know @Brunneria sourced an option to purchase fewer tests at any given time. I'm sure she'll drop by and let you know where she got hers.

For me, those read slightly higher than my venous test (I did them same day), the home tests have been consistent +/-0.1%, at the tests I have done, thus far. I'll be doing another shortly as I'm due a "proper" one in November.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cold ethyl - I have this site bookmarked, just in case I feel the need. It talks about an admin fee, but every time I have looked at the site there is a voucher to waive it. http://privatebloodtests.co.uk/

Alternatively, if you want more frequent HbA1cs, and are willing to pay, you could do a home test. http://www.millermedicalsupplies.co...ba1c-and-diabetes-monitoring-10-test-kit-4838

That option is for 10 tests (the expiry date was just over a year, at the date of receipt. I know @Brunneria sourced an option to purchase fewer tests at any given time. I'm sure she'll drop by and let you know where she got hers.

For me, those read slightly higher than my venous test (I did them same day), the home tests have been consistent +/-0.1%, at the tests I have done, thus far. I'll be doing another shortly as I'm due a "proper" one in November.

Did someone mention me? :)

I got my HbA1cs from eBay, of all places.
Imported from America.
Called 'A1C Now'
Watch the expiry date
Not cheap (£40-50 for two tests, incl postage) but a heck of a lot cheaper than paying for a private test via a lab in the UK.
Mind you READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY because I messed up and wasted my money once.
I can't speak about accuracy, because I have no comparison. but that isn't a prob for me, because all I want is to know if I am in the ballpark, and if I can shave it downwards.

sharn_davies

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello All,

Hope you are all well and fitting fit. :D

I have seen the thread in fasting blood glucose, but was wondering what they are for only Type 2's.

Mine are between 4.5 and 6.0 depending on what I have eaten / drunk the night before.

Cheers
SImply_h
My average is between 15 and 19

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I have the same batch number of code free Bluetit, I had new delivery this week and start new tub today, my previous delivery was also s0314056 too

I'm also on this batch, which if you recall seemed to be a return to 'normality' after the previous rogue batch originally identified by @AndBreathe. Incidentally I have since adjusted the correction I made on that batch from 0.4 to 0.2.

Anyway, opposite end of my seesaw, 5.2 this morning.

Reactions: 5 people

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6.2 this morning after my normal late night Friday movie watching and snacks. Weekend Night Life of excitement sure took a down turn once the kids arrived. Not saying that is a bad thing, I actually wouldn't change a thing about family life, it's just a lot more tame these days ;-)

A reasonable 5.1, 2 hours after breakfast of eggs and bacon. :)

Reactions: 3 people

MsVelvet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.8 this morning. I had a terrible night with leg cramps. I have been drinking diet tonic water on the recommendation of my Dr for the cramps and last week started taking Magnesium. Magnesium seemed to help for a day or tow, but last night was a shocker. It started like 6pm and got progressively worse all night, still cramping this morning. Has anyone got any suggestions? Oh I am on the LCHF diet and sticking to it.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Can someone please explain this to me?

6.5 on rising B4 breakfast (avocado mash and a lamb chop) 6.6 one hour later and 7.8 2 hours later. Why would that be?

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can someone please explain this to me?

6.5 on rising B4 breakfast (avocado mash and a lamb chop) 6.6 one hour later and 7.8 2 hours later. Why would that be?
Complete stab in the dark here but could it be that as your food contained no carbs it takes longer for fats proteins to be turned to glucose. Did you test beyond the 2 hour point to see when you came back down again?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Complete stub in the dark here but could it be that as your food contained no carbs it takes longer for fats proteins to be turned to glucose. Did you test beyond the 2 hour point to see when you came back down again?

I did Pavlos .... about 45 mins later back to 6.8.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4,8 on wake up.

Not bad at all after going to bed bed at 6mmol following a dinner party at a friends house last night.

Main course was chicken roasted in some kind of honey sauce. I did not want to make a fuss, draw unnecessary attention to myself or make others, especially the hostess, feel awkward, so I had the chicken with a generous helping of salad and greek yoghurt. I just skipped the potatoes that came with it.

I also avoided the various cakes served us desert but I did have some fruit instead: a small fig, some pomegranate and a couple of grapes; all sugary I know but I did not want to sit there with an empty plate while everyone else had plates of two or three different deserts in front of them.

Besides I have been missing fruit and they did stick the fruit bowl directly in front of me.

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.