Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.3 this morning no bruise from my donation yesterday either. One thing I noticed was how much improved my flow was, 9 mins for the whole pint, down to my much increased water intake daily !! It was also my first donation post diagnosis, I had a Rivita and Philly before I went and was fine! Post donation sat at the table with others who were having the obligatory tea and biscuits, water for me!! I'm so virtuous these days;)

Reactions: 17 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I must be really lucky as I get everything, meter, lancets and test strips on prescription as often as required. Have you asked your GP or have they just refused? Seems very unfair.

I see from your profile you are on Gliclazide, which is probably the reason you are prescribed strips etc. It is one of the meds than can cause hypos so testing is essential. Those of us not on insulin or Gliclazide type meds rarely get prescriptions. And yes, we do ask, demand and stamp our feet, but to no avail.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank cold ethyl- it's post office counter. I'm now in my second year of receptionist after three years deputy manager of a bookies, loved the role but too many 14 1/2 hour days in the end there!
Hope your Mr continues to get well.

Good luck Kimbo.

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.3 at bedtime
5.8 at 3am
6.2 this morning

Possible explanation of the 6.2 is we had our tea two hours earlier than normal due to circumstances beyond our control, then a later night than normal, and a later getting up, so my fasting was very long - 16 hours! Taking that into consideration I think 6.2 was quite good!!!

Reactions: 16 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Stuck in the 5.5-6.0 range at the moment. That's OK but there's a variety of things going on which are contributing to them not being lower.

Reactions: 16 people

Rose28

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9.9 Yesterday morning ( forgot to post this yesterday)

8.9 at bedtime

9.3 this morning

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 12 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B 7·2. Mushroom omelette n Salmon 2hour later 8·4 is this ok or do i need to lower it if so how?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

as @cold ethyl said, the increase from before to after is fine. The rule of thumb is to keep the rise to under 2mmol/l and you have done that. Well done. However, you started at 7.2, so any rise is going to take you higher than ideal. You need to get your base levels down. I know nothing about your meds so can't advise on that. Was the 7.2 your first thing fasting test? I suggest today you test before you get into bed and then again in the morning. This may show if your morning levels are the result of a liver dump or protein kicking in.

Reactions: 5 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks ill try that see what morning readings are will it be ok to have sum carbs like noodle with stir fry

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Noodles aren't a great idea for diabetics generally. Try and small portion and test at 1hr and 2hrs to see. Cellophane or glass noodles may be better ( made out of rice and mung beans I think) than wheat ones. Buckwheat ones may also not spike as much. I tend to leave out noodles and have more beansprouts and bamboo shoots in mine and some asparagus tips.

Reactions: 3 people
S

Sable_Jan

I am amazed that my reading this morning was 6.0 as I wnet to camera club last night and someone made the mistake of openin g a box of Roses that someone had given us as thanks for doing some shots of their girls who are majorettes. I know I ate too many (about 6!) but it doesn't happen very often. Anyway I was expecting a reading well over 6.00 but I'm being especially good for the rest of the week.
You SEE our bodies DO let us have a treat now and again even if we don't think we should. As me with Snicker bar last night, knew it was a naughty treat but figured on the fat and nuts to help combat the carb spike

Bedtime pre-snicker was 5.2; this morning 5.9 (fasting/pre breakfast)
After breakfast (my All Bran Crunch again) 6.1 (after 2 1/2 hrs cos forgot to set reminder)
Pre-lunch 5.2 (lunch a small tuna pasta thingy plus small banana with bit of gransose soya yoghurt)
Post lunch 7.2 spot on 2 hrs after first bite. I know the yoghurts have sugar in but I'm only using them up cos bought them ages ago but will be using greek style yoghurt from Sainsbury's from now on (or cream ;))

Reactions: 10 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You SEE our bodies DO let us have a treat now and again even if we don't think we should. As me with Snicker bar last night, knew it was a naughty treat but figured on the fat and nuts to help combat the carb spike

Bedtime pre-snicker was 5.2; this morning 5.9 (fasting/pre breakfast)
After breakfast (my All Bran Crunch again) 6.1 (after 2 1/2 hrs cos forgot to set reminder)
Pre-lunch 5.2 (lunch a small tuna pasta thingy plus small banana with bit of gransose soya yoghurt)
Post lunch 7.2 spot on 2 hrs after first bite. I know the yoghurts have sugar in but I'm only using them up cos bought them ages ago but will be using greek style yoghurt from Sainsbury's from now on (or cream ;))

Watch those quick release carbs like bananas and sugar-added foods, plus snickers. Your spike could be much earlier. Always worth testing "bad" foods every half an hour for the first try at them. Bananas will spike very quickly - that's why athletes eat them during competitions.

Reactions: 9 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A steady 4.0 for me today, in readiness for my little chat with my GP later.

I can't wait for that [/irony off]

Reactions: 13 people
S

Sable_Jan

Noodles aren't a great idea for diabetics generally. Try and small portion and test at 1hr and 2hrs to see. Cellophane or glass noodles may be better ( made out of rice and mung beans I think) than wheat ones. Buckwheat ones may also not spike as much. I tend to leave out noodles and have more beansprouts and bamboo shoots in mine and some asparagus tips.
Bean sprouts :yuck::yuck::yuck: but on the other hand brussels sprouts :hungry:.

Have you heard of "Zero Noodles" some people adore them as they are one calorie per pack (or is it 2?) and made from a mushroom type stuff. I find them mega disgusting but then I do bean sprouts :D. May be worth you trying them if you want to bulk out your food. I guess I found the noodles the least disgusting of the 3 I tried - the "pasta" sheets - well have you ever had lasagne WITHOUT the pasta? I did cos I took the sheets out and ate around it. Can't think what the 3rd "shape" of "pasta" was now.

Status
Not open for further replies.