Type 3C

GillyM

Hello everyone!
I’ve had type 2 diabetes since 2006, controlled by Metformin and just been diagnosed with type 3C because I have had pancreatic surgery and pancreatitis. Started on insulin injections on December 24th 2023 and have increased my dose gradually from 6 units to 15 units. BS levels have not really reduced and still measuring around 9 to 10. Trying to be strict with my diet (I don’t eat meat) and feeling hungry and miserable! Finding it difficult to know what to eat even though I have spoken to a dietitian.

• Hug
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello everyone!
I’ve had type 2 diabetes since 2006, controlled by Metformin and just been diagnosed with type 3C because I have had pancreatic surgery and pancreatitis. Started on insulin injections on December 24th 2023 and have increased my dose gradually from 6 units to 15 units. BS levels have not really reduced and still measuring around 9 to 10. Trying to be strict with my diet (I don’t eat meat) and feeling hungry and miserable! Finding it difficult to know what to eat even though I have spoken to a dietitian.
Numbers around 9 or 10 are absolutely brilliant at less than 3 weeks in!

In time, you'll want them to be a little lower if possible without going hypo. The only way to find out the right dose is by trial and error, so slowly titrating up under the guidance of your team is the way to go.
Some people need less than 10 units a day, others need over 200. And the only way to find out is to try. You don't want to massively overdose, hence the titrating up.

What insulin(s) are you on and how often are you testing?
If you're hungry, you might not be eating enough.
T3C, like T1 means you're not producing enough insulin, so you will have to inject what your body doesn't make, it's not about diet.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

GillyM

Thanks for your reply-that’s encouraging. I’m on Humulin and testing before breakfast and before bed, and occasionally when I feel concerned about my levels. I also take Metformin

Last edited:
Reactions: Antje77
Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also type 3c from Aug 2021 due to having had severe acute pancreatitis.

Your sugar levels are brilliant, especially as you've only had it for 3wks. If I can be of any help, I'd be happy to chat.