Type one and hba1c

Tylers73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please need help and advise my result today is 9.1 omg three years I've had diabetes each year it's going up

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What advice have you had from your team? Do you carb count? What do your numbers look like day to day?

Reactions: DiabeticDadUK

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Please need help and advise my result today is 9.1 omg three years I've had diabetes each year it's going up
Every time things go a little (or a lot!) off track I start with my overnight bg asmy focus. My reasoning is always I'm asleep so I don't worry but it makes up such a large chunk of your day it can have really key effects on hb1ac. Make sure your basal is correct, once you have that make sure you're testing before bed and going to bed in target. Afterwards you can start changing other aspects (and ofc nothing is consistent!) but it's a good place to start and means you won't get overwhelmed by trying to change everything.

Reactions: Medusa41

scorpius14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah mines not got any better, i've injected every day, kept to routine, but my body has been fighting the insulin like it doesn't care what it does so i've gotten used to the high glucose levels of 20mmol/l and the levels of 4-10 are a relic of the past

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yeah mines not got any better, i've injected every day, kept to routine, but my body has been fighting the insulin like it doesn't care what it does so i've gotten used to the high glucose levels of 20mmol/l and the levels of 4-10 are a relic of the past
You should never need to get used to levels that high @scorpius14. It may benefit you to watch this thread and take note of the advice given to the OP:)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
9.1% (76mmol/mol IFCC) is far from ideal, but it's not the worst around and it's not just you with an elevated HbA1c @Tylers73. The good news is that you can improve on this figure dramatically.

As @Diakat has mentioned, what are your BG's like day to day and is there anything specific you're finding hard? Like overnight BG's, BG's after meals, adjusting your basal/bolus doses, etc?

People here will be fed up of hearing me say this... but you should really get a copy of this book - it's fantastic! As you can see, there is a Kindle version and hard copy available, so personal preference really:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Think-Like.../ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

DiabeticDadUK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Mine was pretty bad too, last time. 8.5 and I've been playing this game for over 3 decades! Don't worry, it happens. The good news is that there are LOTS you can do to improve the numbers:

- Look at your BG numbers, where are your high ones? Why are they high at that time and what can you do to change that?
- Can you accurately carb count all your foods?
- Could you introduce some exercise or increase your exercise?
- Is your current insulin regime working for you?

Don't stress :) that can make things worse. See this as useful information that you can use to improve your T1 :)

Reactions: GrantGam and Diakat