Type1 Exercise and low bs

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am struggling with going low during exercise. I am training for mountain climbing, thus do some very intense workouts twice a week 2 hours each session (very fast nordic walking and running up and down hills) easier workouts 3-4 days a week 1-2 hour each session (biking or walking) and moderate once per week (smaller mountain climbs 15-20km with elevation) On the more moderate and intense workouts, I have been purposely going high (10-10.5) before, snacking during (100-120g carbs) and still going low (3.5-5). I am on a very low dose of insulin (between 2-4 units bolus and 7 Lantus). Pre-exercise, I cut the bolus down considerably or don't take it at all. Any advice, should I also cut back on the basal?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's normal to see a BG drop with exercise. I'll need about 90g simple carbs for a 3 hour bike ride.

You can cut back on your basal slightly if you'd like. However, you may find that this can cause your BG to creep up when you're not exercising.

You don't really want to be bolusing close to your workout. Because when it kicks in, your exercise makes that insulin work a lot harder than it normally would.

Try eating at least 2 hours before you exercise if you are going to use bolus insulin. Or when you do eat, have a meal with just enough carbs to raise your BG to the desired level without the need for bolusing.

Grant

Last edited:

Karenchq

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Grant,
Thanks for your reply. I was concerned that needing so many carbs to get through a workout was excessive, but it seems that it is the same for you. Diabetes sure is a tight rope walk :)

Reactions: GrantGam

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is a group on Facebook doing a fit with diabetes challenge at the moment - lots of good articles of diabetes and exercise - I haven't been doing the challenge, but the articles are good and lots of discussion about how different people manage their blood sugar and work outs - well worth a look

Search for the group - fit with diabetes challenge