Type1 on honeymoon

Triscornia

Hello, so to understand my story I need to tell the beginning. My son was tested for diabetes it turned out to be type1 his Test was 6.3 so not huge so they said he was prediabetic this was beginning of Dec 2018. So we just had to do test every second day. Then on 4 th Feb he didn’t feel well and his blood sugar was over 200 ( sorry we live in France and I don’t know the English conversion) so we took him to hospital. There they just pricked his finger and phone his endocrinologists to see if they start treatment and so they did. I was a little disappointed they didn’t do any other tests. Anyways stayed in hospital for a week got out with ear infection, took antibiotics which made his levels go all over the place. Once finished the antibiotics he leaves were so low we phoned the endrocinologist and she said reduce insulin and stop night one which we did and was fine. Since then there are days he doesn’t need any insulin and his levels are perfect. Last night he took 1 unit of insulin ( 1.5 is the max he has ever taken so far) I check him going to bed around 10pm and he was around 196 and I thought good I can sleep tonight( normally I check him 2 times during the night) but at 4 I woke up thinking will I won’t I check him and did and he had dropped down to 50 but had regained to 74 on its own I am now thinking how long before he drops again will he make it to 7am( when he gets up for school). I wait till 4.30 and he is dropped to 64 I then wake him and give him 2 small biscuits and he goes back to sleep. Then I wondering if I gave him too much as this happened before during the day when it went mad up ( maybe 4 biscuits in total then) . Anyways manage to go back to sleep I wake up at 7 to see he dropped after the biscuits but went back again up on it’s own.
My question is.....is this normal and how long can it last. I don’t know what to do if I am doing something wrong. My next appointment at hospital is not till 16 May. My friends who have kids with diabetes said it all sounds strange. The hospital said they never met anyone at the beginning of diabetes before. My husband think he might have a tumor in pancreases ( reading on internet). Really during the day I don’t worry but night I do that’s why I check him so often. Going a little crazy.
Of course this is nothing to the other post I read where u have small babies and young kids with this which breaks my heart for them.
Any advice is most appreciated. My friend also told me about the weekend course in the UK run by diabetes UK which she said is brilliant and she learned a lot from.
Thanks