Type2. Is this a hypo????

Twinnylinz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys, I was diagnosed in December with a hba1c of 57 (which is now down to 45) I'm not on medication & seem to have been doing pretty well low carbing, I don't test (which my nurse has advised) & yet seem to be having what I can only describe as a hypo, yesterday I woke feeling very foggy headed (I also have a sinus infection & on 500mg amoxicillin) so thought it was due to that, around 4pm I suddenly felt sick, hot & very dizzy, I had been irritable for around 1/2 hour with my headache worsening, I also noticed my hands were shaking. This has happened previously so I told my nurse who said that as my blood sugars were too high it's unlikely that it's a hypo & that I'm tired?!?! I sat down & had 2 glucose tablets & after 15 minutes I felt well enough to go back to work, any help or advice welcome TIA.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Without knowing what your blood sugar was, we can only guess.

What medications are you on? If you're not on insulin or a sulfonylurea (gliclazide) the chances of you having a hypo are very low.

I've noticed that I get symptoms similar to a hypo when I haven't eaten in a while even if my blood sugar isn't low. Eating some sort of protein can resolve it in my case. Since this happened to you at 4pm that certainly seems like it could be a possibility.

Best thing to do is buy a meter and test. Only way to know.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Impossible to know, but first reaction from me would be a "no" ..... not a hypo. Don't take that as a licence to dismiss it but it sounds an awful lot like me 18 months ago. One minute awful, next you're good

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
It sounds just like a hypo to me but it could also have been a panic attack and without testing to know what was happening to your bg levels at the time its impossible to tell one way or the other.

Think about getting a test kit, even if you dont want to use it regularly, which I would strongly recommend, it would be useful to have if this happens again so you would have proof to show your doc/nurse.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that certain things (illness, stress, sleep deprivation, tiredness, plus a few others) seem to make my natural bg balancing act a bit more fragile. Oh yes, PMT will do it to! lol.

Sounds like that may have been happening, but really, you will never know without a meter and testing at the time.

The couple of glucose tablets may well have helped, but then, maybe the sit down while you were phoning the nurse was just as helpful...?

Congrats on the test result though! Excellent, and probably hard work, so double congrats. :)

Twinnylinz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all the input! I'm going to see how I go over the next few weeks (as I do have an infection & it could have just been a weird reaction to the antibiotics) I hadn't eaten much due to nausea & ive never had a panic attack, the only medication I take is vitamin D @Brunneria it has been hard work but my health is important to me & so it's a priority.

Reactions: 4 people

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi guys, I was diagnosed in December with a hba1c of 57 (which is now down to 45) I'm not on medication & seem to have been doing pretty well low carbing, I don't test (which my nurse has advised) & yet seem to be having what I can only describe as a hypo, yesterday I woke feeling very foggy headed (I also have a sinus infection & on 500mg amoxicillin) so thought it was due to that, around 4pm I suddenly felt sick, hot & very dizzy, I had been irritable for around 1/2 hour with my headache worsening, I also noticed my hands were shaking. This has happened previously so I told my nurse who said that as my blood sugars were too high it's unlikely that it's a hypo & that I'm tired?!?! I sat down & had 2 glucose tablets & after 15 minutes I felt well enough to go back to work, any help or advice welcome TIA.

So glad Im not the only one! Ive never had anythign like it ever until I was diagnosed with DT2 and have been on Metformin and low cholesterol tablets. My professionals say its coz my body isnt used to being a normal sugar level. I think its the same symptoms as low blood sugar as Im eat Low Carb, low fat and very low sugar.

Twinnylinz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It's happened a few times but normally after an early shift 6am-2pm so it scared me that it happened at work, I'm as low sugar as possible & pretty much only eat porridge & burgen bread, I can't eat carbs at night as for me it's like drinking coffee just before bed, my only friend with type 2 is so badly controlled I feel like I can't ask advice