Type2 newbie. On insulin.

Bognorlad40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys, I'm 40 years old and type 2 diabetic since 1999. I have been on various oral meds for this (metformin, glicazide, stigagliptin and pioglitazone and none have worked to lower my bg, I am now on Insuman combo 25 16 units twice daily and finding they are not dropping down. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Reactions: 2 people

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You may not be taking enough units of insulin.

Might be worth calling DSN and speaking to them about it.

Bognorlad40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there I was at my DSN the other day and all she said was to increase by 2 units every three days

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you done anything diet wise to help? Without pushing LCHF the truism is that less carbs in does mean less glucose for the insulin to handle.

Bognorlad40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm taking in under the rda for carbs so don't think it's that I could reduce more but don't I have to match the carbs for the insulin shot?

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello Bognorlad40. Welcome to the Forum.:)

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The RDA is poor advice for diabetics, a big carb intake means a big input of glucose to your system which as a T2 your body struggles with. I'm not pushing anything but try it for a few days, keep the insulin the same but increasingly cutback on the bread, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc and see if that helps. If it does then you have another tool you can use, then you can read up, on what else to eat instead!, unfortunately a lot of diabetes is experimenting to see what works for each of us.

Bognorlad40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Steve I guessed a lot of this is trial and error sort of thing when it comes to food. And thanks for the welcome Liam