Type2 non-insulin dependent.

Hi people,

I was diagnosed with Type2 diabetes last april (my twin brother was diagnosed as Type1 6 months prior to this). I enjoy rigourous mountain biking at weekends. Whilst out on a ride last weekend I got what felt like the honk. I was extremely nauseaus and out of breath after only two miles. I have never felt this rough so early into a ride, with literally no energy. I had to cancel my ride several miles in. Earlier that morning I prepared and ate readybrek (without sugar) and prepared myself (as I always have) a squash based sugar free drink. I have already had the flu injection about 3 months ago and have been feeling flu-y/cold like symptoms for the past 3 weeks. My kids have had colds and my wife was off the previous week with flu. Could this be the flu affecting me as bad as this?

I have got an appointment later in the month to see my diabetic nurse. I have not been for some time. I guess as I have felt in reasonable condition I don't need to (and I have not had any contact from my surgery to visit them for checkups). I also have been told by my doctor that I should not monitor my blood sugar, as being Type 2 it cannot be monitored reliably from a chemist based electronic kit. How can I keep an eye on my condition if I cannot montor it? I really am at a loss with what I can drink when cycling to give me sustained energy and not exacerbate my condition. Sugar or no sugar? Im trying to hold the Type 2 down as long as possible. I have my eyes and feet checked.

Im 36 years old and am reasonably fit (or was).

It would be nice to hear from someone who can help as this is making me feel low.
Cheers

Trinkwasser

Your doctor is clueless and more concerned with saving money than saving lives. Find a new one.

testing is the KEY to controlling this thing and preventing it from progressing

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

http://loraldiabetes.blogspot.com/2006/10/d-day.html

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

I would suspect that what happened is that you overcarbed for breakfast which sent your BG high, then your insulin came in too late and too much and interracted with the exertion to drive your BG low. But without a meter how could you tell?

I work best off a low carb high protein moderate fat breakfast but even so I'm not good at exertion until the afternoon.

Flu and any infection may also send your BG high, quite apart from sapping your energy

I once felt like death warmed up and could hardly move. My then GP dismissed it as he usually did. Then I discovered a neighbour had (presumably) gotten the same infection, depsite being a games master and built like an ox he was laid up in bed for three days. In comparison I got off lightly.

Cheers Trink. The Protein advice looks good. And thanks for the links.

One last question. If I exercise and I am avoiding sugar or carbs, what gives my body a steady continual release of energy. If I am not allowing my body to break down glucose, what other alternative is there? I'm going to my GP this week armed with questions.

Once again, thanks for this great forum.

Trinkwasser

rumbledethumps said:
Cheers Trink. The Protein advice looks good. And thanks for the links.

One last question. If I exercise and I am avoiding sugar or carbs, what gives my body a steady continual release of energy. If I am not allowing my body to break down glucose, what other alternative is there? I'm going to my GP this week armed with questions.

Once again, thanks for this great forum.

Protein can be converted to glucose slowly and without the spikes from excess carbs. Also to a degree you can retrain your body to utilise ketones which are generated from fat.

Slow carbs mixed in with the other two food sources should work OK, for example my breakfast contains two oatcakes (12g carbs) and a large handful of salad the effect of which is slowed by the protein and fat from the fish or bacon, you'll need to do some testing to determine how many carbs are doable at different times of day: for example I can do about 15g at breakfast and 30g in the evening, a friend is limited to around 5g at breakfast but can do 50g or even more by the evening. When I'm busy I will tend to "bolus" with things like an oatcake with nut butter or cheese, or ryebread with butter, or a small portion of dried fruit with a large portion of nuts to keep my system from going too high or too low. I especially need to avoid wheat until the evening. My cousin is similar except she can do ricecakes during the day which I can't.