Type2

happy girl 1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing
Hi I am asking why it is that doctors always tell me to eat fruit,When I do the sugars go way up do doctors know what
They are doing fruit i think is bad for us do you feel the same.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Fruit = sweets

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
All fruits contain sugars, tropical fruits have the most.
Berries are better.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi I am asking why it is that doctors always tell me to eat fruit,When I do the sugars go way up do doctors know what
They are doing fruit i think is bad for us do you feel the same.

Yes, fruit contains fructose, a naturally occurring sugar. Some fruits are better than others - berries are a preferable option for diabetics. So you can probably get away with a small portion if you want natural vitamins. As always, the advice is to test yourself after eating and find out what's going on.

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
Fruit is a very general term. What matters is the nutrition of what you eat and drink whether it comes from fruit or meat or whatever. Certain nutrients will benefit certain things whether you are diabetic or not, like your healing capabilities, immune system towards fevers and colds etc, your skin and so on and so forth. Citrus fruits(like oranges) will contain a large amount of vitamin C making them good at treating the common cold but that doesn't make them an antidote, chicken contains a lot of protein making it good food for people who want to build muscle mass, and so on.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I am asking why it is that doctors always tell me to eat fruit,

He's probably following the NHS advice to go for 10 fruits and vegetables per day rather than five. Advice given with the "one size fits all" attitude and encouraging the "keep taking the tablets" attitude that some might have. Of course everyone can do exactly that, it's their prerogative. However, if watching carbs, it's not so straight forward. Perhaps you should ask him "which fruits?"

I did have a list of fruits with the lowest carbs (https://www.verywellfit.com/low-carb-fruit-list-2242528, a cup = 340gms) but when I double checked the values, they didn't agree but they are still lower than most fruits.

These values are not from that list but checked individually. Grams of carb per 100gms in brackets.

Lime (11), lemon (9), rhubarb (4.5), apricots (11), cranberries (12), guavas 14), raspberries (12), kiwi (15), and blueberries (14), strawberries (8). Water Melon, canteloupe, honeydew melon are also low.

For me personally even strawberries will cause a slight elevation of BG, but we'll all react differently.

Reactions: Prem51