Types of pump in UK? Experiences?

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi pumpers

I was wondering what sort of CGM pumps are provided in the UK? I have a CGM one and will be over later in the year and just wanted some idea of supplies if I have any problems. I do not intend any but you know us Diabetics we are a careful bunch when it comes to travel etc. I have a Medtronic Veo with CGM. Also anyone with similar machine? I have found this one to be very good and with predictive features I would recommend to anyone. Also what Hba1c are you guys getting? Any issues fixes etc? Look forward to hearing replies and any advice tips etc..

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
The answer to supplies depends on where you are. You have to get individual approval for a pump and supplies. In my area hospitals do it so you need to be registered with one, have seen the right people eg consultant and been approved. Are you eligible for nhs treatment? You don't mention your nationality. Also if you've been out the country for 6 years you can lose your right to use the nhs.

If you're only here for a brief stay you might find it simpler to just bring lots of supplies.
I have a medtronic pump and i know they promise to replace if anything goes wrong on holiday so i'm sure you'd get a similar service.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: azure

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The answer to supplies depends on where you are. You have to get individual approval for a pump and supplies. In my area hospitals do it so you need to be registered with one, have seen the right people eg consultant and been approved. Are you eligible for nhs treatment? You don't mention your nationality. Also if you've been out the country for 6 years you can lose your right to use the nhs.

If you're only here for a brief stay you might find it simpler to just bring lots of supplies.
I have a medtronic pump and i know they promise to replace if anything goes wrong on holiday so i'm sure you'd get a similar service.

Hope that helps.

Hi Tigger

thanks for your reply, I am British currently working in Cyprus so I would be okay for NHS. I will bring supplies etc. so no problem there hopefully! but you never know. You say you have a Medtronic? what are your experiences with it and is it CGM? I have read that UK is a little behind on the pumps but I was not sure if this is true or not? I have found my Veo to be excellent as it suspends your insulin if your glucose reading goes to low below 4.4 which i have set so I have avoided Hypos over a year, it also has an alarm that goes off that alerts me to low of high sugars. Does yours have this facility? How have you found your pump in control etc. and where do you go for monitoring etc. of your Diabetes. Look forward to your reply as I am interested in pump experience as here in Cyprus there are not many of us! Thanks for reply again.

Last edited by a moderator:

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
@.gurley

Have a look at this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...de-Europe-must-pay-for-NHS-hospital-care.html

I know from one of my friends who had lived abroad for 8 years that when she came back to give birth they charged her.

Have a look at this site http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/ It will give you lots of info on pump availability which varies a lot between different health trusts. CGMs are funded separately and even more sparsely than pumps in my experience. The Input site has details on this too. Basically you'll have to meet the qualifying criteria and be in a trust that funds it. Bear in mind that if your qualifying criteria is hypo unawareness you will not be able to have a driving licence.

I have a 640g which does have that facility. However, although I got funded for an enlite for a short period of time I found them very unreliable so don't use that feature. I'm trying to do something similar now with a libre and smartphone. Have you heard of libres?

Depending on your hospital the main manufacturers here seem to be animas, medtronic and omnipod. If you put another post asking about specific areas and pumps I'm sure you'll get responses.

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@.gurley

Have a look at this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/hea...de-Europe-must-pay-for-NHS-hospital-care.html

I know from one of my friends who had lived abroad for 8 years that when she came back to give birth they charged her.

Have a look at this site http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk/ It will give you lots of info on pump availability which varies a lot between different health trusts. CGMs are funded separately and even more sparsely than pumps in my experience. The Input site has details on this too. Basically you'll have to meet the qualifying criteria and be in a trust that funds it. Bear in mind that if your qualifying criteria is hypo unawareness you will not be able to have a driving licence.

I have a 640g which does have that facility. However, although I got funded for an enlite for a short period of time I found them very unreliable so don't use that feature. I'm trying to do something similar now with a libre and smartphone. Have you heard of libres?

Depending on your hospital the main manufacturers here seem to be animas, medtronic and omnipod. If you put another post asking about specific areas and pumps I'm sure you'll get responses.

Hi Tigger

Libres?? not heard of that one. I checked I do have cover as I have the European Health card for Cyprus. Very interesting that Cyprus supply latest pump with CGM and that was an upgrade from one I had working in Ireland (17 years) I am 3 years in Cyprus. I had Hypo problems at night in Ireland but not total unawareness, just kept going low on the Novorapid and Lantus, no issue with both pumps I have had and certainly cured the lows and awareness improved. Also of interest that my Consultant in Ireland said that with higher sugars you can raise awareness ie. not so many lows. He was a high up guy and had worked in America and was a Professor who lectured all around the world. Also a great guy who liked the fact I was a Diabetic rebel, playing soccer till 44, running marathons and working in lots of different places. I have now been Diabetic for 40 years so getting old now I suppose but as we all know we get discrimination often by ignorance and with the type 2 upsurge people think its our fault in some way! I do all I can to put people right on that!. thanks for your replies I will do some investigations so when I come over I am up to speed, thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Tigger

very interesting as it lasts up to 14 days! My Enlite lasts six days, looks like the technology is evolving which will be gret news for all of us! Thank you

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you moving back to the UK (England?) permanently?