UK dexcom G4 with share

Penfold_Dad

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hi all

I'm still asking lots of questions. We are looking into part funding our CGM. We have one on loan for my 5 year old daughter that we need to give back on Monday. I looked on the US dexcom site and noticed their G4 has a Bluetooth share facility. The on in the UK doesn't seem too which is strange. My question is, is it cheaper to buy somewhere else in Europe rather than from the UK supplier? Can you get the share in UK with mmol readout from anywhere (or in Europe)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I don't believe that the Share version was ever signed off by the European Medicines Agency, so it wouldn't be available in Europe.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Typical........something useful not allowed to happen
IIRC, Dexcom never submitted it on the basis that the G5 was on its way and after it took over a year for the FDA to approve the SHARE system in the US, the approval would have overlapped with the G5 in Europe.

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Hi all

I'm still asking lots of questions. We are looking into part funding our CGM. We have one on loan for my 5 year old daughter that we need to give back on Monday. I looked on the US dexcom site and noticed their G4 has a Bluetooth share facility. The on in the UK doesn't seem too which is strange. My question is, is it cheaper to buy somewhere else in Europe rather than from the UK supplier? Can you get the share in UK with mmol readout from anywhere (or in Europe)

Thanks
Hi. When I was investigating purchasing my Dexcom, I think (but can't be sure) the german sites had the share version and offered both mg/dl and mmol/l versions, but I ended up buying from France. The problem you may find is that none of the companies will export outside of their own borders, so for me, France was my only option as I also have a French bank a/c and address. Also, be mindful that France uses mg/dl and you cannot change this in the settings of the receiver, but for the £500 saving, this was a calculated risk for me. You can look at the non-share version, and purchase an xDrip, and utilise nightscout, which gives similar functionality, and actually find the xdrip algorithms to be more accurate (and also gives HBa1C estimates ... still waiting to see how accurate they are though)!