UK Driving licence renewal

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a quick question regarding renewing driving licence.

My renewal came through yesterday and one of questions is

Have you ever had an episode of low blood sugar (hypo) whilst awake

How many episodes of low blood sugar (hypo) have you had whilst awake

I assume that we all have low blood sugar Hypo, is that maybe under BG 3.9? I know I have have some each week

If 2 or more when having low blood sugar did you need help from another person . ( Do not count episodes where you were given help but could have helped yourself)

Now I do have hypos but I have never needed help.

Now does that mean I would put No I dont need help.

Its a bit vague

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
We (T1's) all have hypo's so you can say YES to that. I think they'd be suspicious if you answered NO.

I don't hypo very often as I run my levels a little high but I'd be a bit reserved about the number of hypo's I declare since "some each week" may well lead to correspondence with your GP/Endo and that's another opportunity for things to go wrong.

They (the DVLA) are only really interested in people who have repeatedly required assistance to deal with hypo's - in other words your glucose management is out of control and may be dangerous when in charge of a vehicle. If you've never needed assistance then tick NO.

Hope that helps.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @smc4761 ,

"Darling, pass the sugar please. I believe I am hypoing..." Does not count as 3rd party help.

If you recognise the symptoms of a hypo? Even if they are not the "steel magnolia" ones that every one between the doctor & the hypo alert dog thinks we have. Then you are adequately awair..

Here's wishing you 3 more years of happy motoring.

Beep beep! :)

Reactions: ringi and smc4761

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @smc4761 ,

"Darling, pass the sugar please. I believe I am hypoing..." Does not count as 3rd party help.

If you recognise the symptoms of a hypo? Even if they are not the "steel magnolia" ones that every one between the doctor & the hypo alert dog thinks we have. Then you are adequately awair..

Here's wishing you 3 more years of happy motoring.

Beep beep! :)

@Jaylee , yes I do get hypos, I would be very surprised if any Type 1's who are fairly well controlled, did not experience at least 2/3 hypos during a full year.

I have not required any assistance, I do have good warning signs, so will just have this as a NO

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee , yes I do get hypos, I would be very surprised if any Type 1's who are fairly well controlled, did not experience at least 2/3 hypos during a full year.

I have not required any assistance, I do have good warning signs, so will just have this as a NO

Yes, it's a "no."

It would be a falsehood if I told you I didn't get the odd low. It even wakes me during the night.
But one should never lose one's manners when requesting the "sugar service!"

... & a gentleman should never elaborate too much with the DVLA. ;)

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that was a bit of a faff renewing online. But got their eventually

Reactions: lizdeluz