JustMMB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi - i was just browsing looking for some Type 1's that run ultra marathons and couldn't really find any so thought i'd start a thread. I have run a bunch of ultra's up to 50 miles or so and have ambitions to run a 100 miler within the next 12 months. I'm an Omnipod user which is brilliant and i run around 40-60 miles a week.

anyone else out there run long distances and what's your approach?

I reduce the basal by 80% and eat what i like pretty much, i do though, when racing use a libre so i can keep track on the go much easier than finger pricking the whole time.

My next race is the Gloucester Groundhog on Sunday - a 45 mile 5 lap route with a total of 7,000ft of climb.

Reactions: Bon83
D

Deleted Account

I am in awe of anyone who does ultra running whether they have diabetes or not. Although as someone with diabetes who runs a few miles, I am well aware what extra challenges our condition throws at us.
Have you taken a look at Roddy Riddles escapades (https://roddyriddle.com/). He is a pretty amazing chap and has taken his ultra running to what I thought is the most extreme with Marathon des Sable. His website seems to be a little out of date and mentions he is going to do the 6622 Ultra in 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel Darkes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I am in awe of anyone who does ultra running whether they have diabetes or not. Although as someone with diabetes who runs a few miles, I am well aware what extra challenges our condition throws at us.
Have you taken a look at Roddy Riddles escapades (https://roddyriddle.com/). He is a pretty amazing chap and has taken his ultra running to what I thought is the most extreme with Marathon des Sable. His website seems to be a little out of date and mentions he is going to do the 6622 Ultra in 2016.
Good afternoon, in regards with your post, I do alot of ultra marathons, and long distance runs, I started off small distance, and now I've completed 35,50,80 and 100 miles runs... Any questions let me know , thanks Dan

JustMMB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you taken a look at Roddy Riddles

He is a pretty amazing chap and has taken his ultra running to what I thought is the most extreme with Marathon des Sable. His website seems to be a little out of date and mentions he is going to do the 6622 Ultra in 2016.

Cheers! Will take a look at that website

JustMMB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Good afternoon, in regards with your post, I do alot of ultra marathons, and long distance runs, I started off small distance, and now I've completed 35,50,80 and 100 miles runs... Any questions let me know , thanks Dan

Hi Dan,
Just wondering what you do to keep blood sugars balanced? What nutrition you use on long efforts and if you Bolus while out there?

Daniel Darkes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Dan,
Just wondering what you do to keep blood sugars balanced? What nutrition you use on long efforts and if you Bolus while out there?
Hi there, when I go out on ultra long runs, or races , il always take on food, it would only be small amount, but the food or energy I choose would consume alot of fuel, sugar etc, like maltloaf, cake slice, I would have maybe sweets to. More so when I was on insulin, but not so much now. I just got to the point on my running of knowing how my body was feeling, when I would take on energy, it would be roughly every 8 or 9 miles, depending, I think over the years, you get to know your body and mind, on long distance running