uncontrolable when hyper

mumsey

Hello all, My 10 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 a month ago.
It all started with an school activity trip away, when he came home he looked like death warmed up, but i just put it down as being exhausted. It was half term and he spent alot of time sleeping whilst his friend played on his xbox!!! (so not like him) he was also very angry and argumentitive i had to send his friends home a few times as he was being foul to them. Next the excessive drinking started! this went on getting worse for around three days untill i managed to get hold of a gm meter and his reading was HI!! :thumbdown:
Needless to say he was admited straight to hospital.
He has a fantastic diabetic team around him and is coping really well.
He has just started the honeymoon period so is still on set units of rapid up to 6 times a day and lantus at night.
My only concern with him is that he doesnt always concentrate and ends up injecting before testing! this scares me alot but are working on it.

Does anyone else have a child who when hyper is uncontrollable and doesnt remember what he has said or done?
How do you manage this?
I understand the best way is to not let him get high but mistakes happen/

Very lost 101212

Hi. I remember my son before diagnosis 3.5 mths ago. I couldn't understand what made him so cross all the time. After he was diagnosed things gradually changed.

High blood sugars still makes him irritable. But so fo low. But we understand the cause now. I normally tell him your body is telling you something isnt right. Best thing to do is keep calm and things do settle.

Its tough on us as parents but its tougher on our babies. Hang in there. X

mumsey

Thank you for your reply, im just glad to hear there is somone else out there. :D
At the momemet we are having alot of hypos due to his honeymoon but im scare of any more highs as he turned from my sweet to a little monster

Very lost 101212

Its a tough thing for a 10 year old to accept. My son is 10 also. Its not easy, and we have bad days but I always say "its ok to cry" and sometimes he does. As do I. Then we have good days. We have to try and live to the fullest. X