Uncontrolled Diabetes So Being Sent To Nursing Home

P

pollensa

Hi, I am posting on behalf of my brother who is type 1 diabetic & currently in hospital with uncontrolled diabetes. The hospital, after 2 months, haven't been able to stabilise his blood sugar (no diabetic menu, no meal monitoring, little interaction with diabetic consultant) and he has had hypos at night and daytime levels reaching to high 30s. There is a discharge meeting thursday and the recommendation will be for a nursing home. My brother is a very fit 64 year old and I would like to know if people with similar challenges have been able to live on their own with district nurses (and family support) without being shut up in an institution .
I am not sure we will have any say on the matter, but I would like him to be in a greater care housing complex/sheltered housing with medical input and quality of life...
Thanks for any input. I need info pls.
Sincerely sorry to read, how concerning re menus no monitory etc., difficult to guide to you, reading between the lines, to ensure whatever help assistance, going forward albeit it another hospital possible nursing home those institutions are specialized dealing with Diabetes patients in particular up to date, with best possible foods and diet, menus for your Brother, sometimes a 10 min talk with someone legal, to inform concerns, may put you in the right direction, guide recommendations as to any known institutions best to deal with in best interests of your brother.

Frustrating to read hospital with patient of uncontrolled diabetes not offering diabetic specialized foods, only last week I experienced similar situation Hospital Palma, waiting for 8 hours for my husband to be attended forced to eat from Hospital canteen restaurant, due to time lapse situation, keeping in mind the hospital has diabetics inhouse, as patients, diabetics probably visit loved ones and friends, yet on the canteen menu and restaurant were there any foods available for diabetics or pre available, non that I could see, it was all white breads, cakes, fruit layden yogurts not natural, spagetti dishes, rice dishes, fresh fruit offered, apple, pineapple available, meat and fish dishes with potatoes, or pasta yes it could be argued one could take their own foods if knowing visiting a Hospital, professionally a hospital catering department should take on board many who may purchase foods may be diabetic and at least supply a minimum if only one dish or two for those clientel. Myself, there was nothing absolutely nothing I could eat or choose from, ended up with purchasing bottle of water. No problem I intermittent fast many days, but the point of concern Hospitals do not seem to understand, see the vital importance need to address their catering department regards foods generally to incorporate menus especially for those with insulin sugar would it be too much to ask they offered spagettis made with spiralized courgette with tomato sauce for example, cost wise, it probably is cheaper than the normal pasta they had on the menu, lack of imagination and more so professional care does not seem to come into the equation unfortunately. PS, I did make a formal comment of complaint regards my views on this, and have sent a letter to the Hospital in question, whether it will be viewed, actioned, noted, or just binned I dont know, probably binned, but at least having raised this point, something has been done........No doubt this is hospitals world wide that has to address this?

good luck with your Brother and he gets the required vital foods if being cared for in institute situation, in best interests of his uncontrolled diabetes to help him.

BA66

Thank you for your reply. It is very shocking in the 21st century that this is considered acceptable, its not like diabetes is some new disease just been discovered?! I will be writing a formal complaint once we get him out of there. I feel the only way things get changed is if enough people protest and the culture/awareness gets changed. He had 2.4 hypo in night, poor thing. Only good thing is now they have put him on an acute ward again, he was on a discharge ward for the last month...
Thanks for your support x

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your reply. It is very shocking in the 21st century that this is considered acceptable, its not like diabetes is some new disease just been discovered?! I will be writing a formal complaint once we get him out of there. I feel the only way things get changed is if enough people protest and the culture/awareness gets changed. He had 2.4 hypo in night, poor thing. Only good thing is now they have put him on an acute ward again, he was on a discharge ward for the last month...
Thanks for your support x

BA66 - Obviously, you must decide how to handle this for yourself, but in your shoes, I would be making the complaint now. If you do that, what's the worst thing that can happen? Would his treatment get worse, when you are obviously journalling what is happening? Would they risk that? Or is there a danger he might actually start receiving more attention?

Once he's gone the complaint, although it needs to be dealt with in a particular way could be regarded as "that bloke who went elsewhere's family being grumpy now he's gone". If they have to face you on a day to day (or whatever) basis.....

The only time I ever had reason to make a formal complaint was about my late Mother's care, in specific, non-diabetes (she wasn't diabetic) set of circumstances. Trust me, from the moment that carefully considered, factual complaint was lodged my mother's care went off the scale. She was always seen bang on time, or early, was treated with utmost, almost gushing, respect and other patients in the clinic she needed to attend daily repeatedly asked her if she "was private" (she wasn't), because of the approach to her.

Frankly, it's a shame not everyone can have the attention my Mother eventually got, but for me, my Mum was worth every minute of the hours it took to compose my complaint, and I would do the same again, if I needed to.

A complaint in real time will, in my view, br given more urgent attention. Plain and simple.

I do wish your brother well. This sort of situation knocks onto so many around him, so I appreciate the wider family will be under strain..

BA66

Thankyou. I am taking your points onboard. I had originally drafted a complaint letter but withheld sending it as my sister (who is closer to the hospital than me and able to visit more) was under a lot of strain, it has been really taking it's toll the last 14 weeks trying to fight to get Chris attended to, nd she didn't feel up to the stress involved in being in a "confrontation" situation with the hospital. However we both feel so desperate about his plight now that we can review the idea.....
Thanks for your support.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou. I am taking your points onboard. I had originally drafted a complaint letter but withheld sending it as my sister (who is closer to the hospital than me and able to visit more) was under a lot of strain, it has been really taking it's toll the last 14 weeks trying to fight to get Chris attended to, nd she didn't feel up to the stress involved in being in a "confrontation" situation with the hospital. However we both feel so desperate about his plight now that we can review the idea.....
Thanks for your support.

A complaint need not be confrontational when based on fact. Fact, not feeling. T be honest that's why it takes time to prepare the complaint - to get all the emotion out of it. It's hard. Really hard. I drafted it what felt like a gazillion times, just trimming the emotion out of each revision.

Facts cannot be dismissed out of hand, but feelings can be viewed differently. The only "feelings" in my complaint were in my closing remarks, where I stated that in my view I felt sure what transpired wasn't what they strove for, and asked for their comments.

Just as a final throwaway, if you leave the complaint until your brother is no longer in the hospital, they could feel things obviously weren't that bad if you didn't complain at the time, bearing in mind he's been there 14 weeks, to date.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with @DCUKMod if you feel ready to make a complaint, then it's probably a good idea to move forward on that.

A thought that keeps coming into my head is that what people with diabetes in hospital seem to need is a sort of advocate. As far as I know there is no such service specifically for people with diabetes, however, these services do exist, I think they can be accessed via the council, if he's in East Surrey it's probably a really bad service, because they wouldn't spend money on that sort of thing.

But often people in power, and people working in the NHS do have power over patients, will behave a lot better when they know someone else is watching, it sort of changes the balance of power. Which is why a complaint is good, it alters the balance of power.

This is all I could find, but it might be worth looking at.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/socia...arities/someone-to-speak-up-for-you-advocate/

BA66

Hi, sorry, only just seen your reply. On train back from hospital, so just quickly going through the link. Very interesting to know there is an advocacy service for future reference. Thank you for looking. I don't think it would apply in this case as it has to be patient-initiated and Chris wouldn't request one, sadly. My sister works for the NHS and has some understanding of hospital structures so I think we will decide on options asap, if to try inter hospital transfer/repartition to family area with another hospital/interim nursing home or stick it out at East Surrey and complain. I just found he is now, after 14 long weeks, in a diabetic ward being seen by diabetic doctors! It's a small annexe that isn't listed properly on website.
Bizarre though, as speaking to obviously hard-working, conscientious nurses (even on a diabetic ward) you still get the same blank looks when you ask if he has help with menu choices (he has some confusion). Also considering he just had a DKA in hospital. And also when requesting a bedtime snack so he doesn't get a 2.4 hypo tonight....?

Thanks for your input ☺

Reactions: Alison54321