Underactive thyroid common with type 2 diabetes?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sorry, no explanation of why things changed. I think it was a combination of D3 supplementation and weight loss, but I've no medical evidence to back that up. Hypothyroid is an area of health that frankly confuses me. I also never had medication for it and never had blood tests beyond TSH - apparently only endocrinologists order those kind of tests here.
As far as I'm aware I've only had my tsh tested and seem ok on 200mg of thyroxine. I'd love to reduce it. It was increased when I was pregnant 3yrs ago. So maybe they did check it more. Not sure.
Seeing my GP on tuesday so I'll quiz him. I'm not too concerned as I don't feel fidgetty but my sleep can be broken every night. Which I think can be symptoms of the opposite (overactive). Although i'm led to believe it comes with weightloss.
I'm happy on 200mgs but if I lose weight I'll see gp for advice. He's one of the best gps I've had.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry, no explanation of why things changed. I think it was a combination of D3 supplementation and weight loss, but I've no medical evidence to back that up. Hypothyroid is an area of health that frankly confuses me. I also never had medication for it and never had blood tests beyond TSH - apparently only endocrinologists order those kind of tests here.

Thanks, Indy51. as Type 1, i am seen in hospital and get regular tests, and as hypothyroid disease is associated with lipid profile changes, i have lipid and thyroid profile done regularly, and Vit D. My medication drop was not associated with vit D, which stayed the same, low, (i have just started supplements), so i can only think that in my case it was to do with my weight loss - small, but nearly 10% of my body weight - though i cant be sure - i imagine everyone is different. I am glad you are so much better.

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As far as I'm aware I've only had my tsh tested and seem ok on 200mg of thyroxine. I'd love to reduce it. It was increased when I was pregnant 3yrs ago. So maybe they did check it more. Not sure.
Seeing my GP on tuesday so I'll quiz him. I'm not too concerned as I don't feel fidgetty but my sleep can be broken every night. Which I think can be symptoms of the opposite (overactive). Although i'm led to believe it comes with weightloss.
I'm happy on 200mgs but if I lose weight I'll see gp for advice. He's one of the best gps I've had.

I think my experience was not very usual, as my GPs did not seem to know much. After i had lost 2 or 3 kg with no symptoms, i had a lot in a short space of time - they were all the common ones mentioned as possible side effects of the medication, but i had not read the leaflets for years, and my GPs were not aware either .

Reactions: 2 people

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I got diagnosed on Wednesday this week with diabetes and under active thyroid at the same time . Went to the drs about something else. Then had bloods done and this was the diagnosis's . Trying to get my head around it all.
Lisa-bubbles I've been diagnosed for years and I'm still learning. Enjoy this forum and please enjoy making new ones. I've found asking questions on this site very educational. Loads of members welcome you and will help.
The main answer is you need to lose weight IF your overweight for YOUR body and MANAGE your eating, exercise and medication to keep those nasty sugar particles in your blood from damaging your nerves. You can do it. We are here for you. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been for years and take 300mcg of Thyroxine
Poor you. My Mum suffers with underactive thyroid and my Dad has diabetes(he also had a growth on his pituitary and had it removed). Lucky for me I just got the diabetes(fingers crossed I dont develop the pituitary problem)... However I do know dietary iodine deficiency and low vitamin D are one of the tell tales for underactive thyroid. You might want to get these checked out. Eat more seaweed and oily fish preferably out in the sun!

Last edited by a moderator: