Undiagnosed type 1

Shadybaby

Good afternoon,

My 4 year old boy has been having oily urine I have dip sticked it a few times and it shows high sugar levels when I have finger pricked him it has been 10 twice and 10.2 . Took him to docs it was 5.5 did a finger prick next morning and it was 9.8! He is going for a fasting test next week as his half sister has diabetes . I did a few random finger pricks other day and they were in range. Am I worrying for nothing or could this be really early diabetes ?

MJDS

Hi Shadybaby

I am not experienced in early childhood Diabetes but the disparity in range of sugar blood readings you are getting for your child certainly are not normal.

People without diabetes normally have very stable blood glucose levels throughout the whole day.

I think you have done the right thing taking him to the dr and trying a fasting bg reading.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Typically his blood sugars would be a lot higher than 9 if he had type 1 because as a young child his demand for energy is very high. Other symptoms would be excessive thirst and tiredness beyond normal plus rapid weight loss and fruity smelling breath.
I am not saying nothing is wrong but he could get a 9 from not washing his hands before testing or having recently eaten a starchy or sweet meal.
Not sure what oily wee is though....Best of luck with getting some answers from the doctors!

Shadybaby

He has started drinking a little more during day he also has a cup of water to drink over night which he has done for 2 year so hard to tell. He also has numerous health issues already it's hard to know what's new and normal for him. He has high calorie milk and lots of food but doesnt put weight on , tired and weak all time . He just keeps getting diagnosed with new illnesses x
QUOTE="NicoleC1971, post: 2295814, member: 365308"]Typically his blood sugars would be a lot higher than 9 if he had type 1 because as a young child his demand for energy is very high. Other symptoms would be excessive thirst and tiredness beyond normal plus rapid weight loss and fruity smelling breath.
I am not saying nothing is wrong but he could get a 9 from not washing his hands before testing or having recently eaten a starchy or sweet meal.
Not sure what oily wee is though....Best of luck with getting some answers from the doctors![/QUOTE]