Unexpected glucose in the bagging area...

mouseee

Hello!
So nice to see familiar names around since the last time I slunk off to be a not so good T2.
Last hba1c of 64 proved that I need to go back to properly low carb to get it down and then find a balance to keep it sustainable.
I've been logging bg more again this past two weeks and overall I'm seeing good numbers. But ..... I think I know the answer to this bit.... why does my bg go up some evenings long after I've eaten and logged a 2 hour lower number?
Eg. Today, 2 hrs after food 6.8. Nothing eaten since then, now 4 hours after that food, and nothing more to eat, it's 9.2. As dinner consisted of 2 pieces heylo bread at 0.3g per slice and cheese to make a cheese toastie, I can't see that I was due a peak 4 hours after.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello!
So nice to see familiar names around since the last time I slunk off to be a not so good T2.
Last hba1c of 64 proved that I need to go back to properly low carb to get it down and then find a balance to keep it sustainable.
I've been logging bg more again this past two weeks and overall I'm seeing good numbers. But ..... I think I know the answer to this bit.... why does my bg go up some evenings long after I've eaten and logged a 2 hour lower number?
Eg. Today, 2 hrs after food 6.8. Nothing eaten since then, now 4 hours after that food, and nothing more to eat, it's 9.2. As dinner consisted of 2 pieces heylo bread at 0.3g per slice and cheese to make a cheese toastie, I can't see that I was due a peak 4 hours after.
Type 2 diabetes is a very individual disorder and we're all different, as I think you realise.

In my own case, finger-pricking over some 20 years has shown me that type 2 doesn't operate on a meal-to-meal basis. The effects of carb intake are cumulative.

Many factors can push up FBG readings, as you know. That said, by far the most important are the foods and drinks you swallowed in the 12 hours before testing.

Do you keep a food diary? Have you logged the food eaten on days when your BGs didn't rise 4 hours after your last meal?

• Informative
Reactions: shelley262

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unrelated, but your profile doesn't specify your type of diabetes.
You may want to update the profile information to prevent confusion.

mouseee

I'll have a look at that thanks! I'm not sure I ever found where to fill it in!
I previously got my hba1c from 101 to 39 in three months so I know generally it's more that specific phenomena.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello!
Good to see you here again although sorry it's because things are creeping up again. I remember when you were very successful in getting your hba1c right down before. Brilliant that you're back with friends on here and working again at trying to work out what works for you.
My odd high numbers at any time not caused my low carb food that I've cooked and prepared are usually stress, high intensity exercise or general lack of sleep or a virus brewing. Or sometimes just one of those things. Let's hope that it settles over time as your body adjusts back to consistent low carb living. Just a thought but have you tried a steady walk around after your evening meal of you are able? I tend to always walk after meals either doing bits of housework or listening to podcasts often indoors cant,wait till the lighter evening when I can get outside again.
Looking forward to seeing your progress - welcome back.

mouseee

Thanks! I will be sticking around this time as I know how much it helps me!
Carbs are funny things aren't they!?
You're right about stress... the nights I've had an odd peak I have also had difficulty falling asleep with a 'busy' brain which your post has just made me realise.