Unexpected high levels

SianyG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello I’m looking for some advice, the passed couple of months my bs have been fine, between 4 and 8 highest! Iv not changed anything. I’m eatting the same taking the same amount of lantus and novorapid with meals, passed 3 days my bs have been creeping up, today iv had a sandwich and chicken and potatoe for tea, iv taken my novorapid and checked my bloods before bed and they are 18.1 I was horrified! As this is the highest they have been since I first came out of hospital. When I woke up they were 10 but I had them down to 4.9 today! So how have they shot up so high? As iv eatten more in the passed and taken less insulin and not had a problem, I just feel like I’m going off track. Any advice or information would be much appreciated

SianyG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yea I had a small sandwich around 11am low carb bread and with insulin. For tea I had a jacket potatoe and chicken again with insulin... my bloods were fine I went from 4.9 to around 6 through the evening. Iv had larger meals before and not had this problem, I know everyday is different. But it’s been 5 months since iv had a reading over 10 so it’s worried me.. now I can’t sleep iv been up twice to wee, iv had more to drink and I just feel hot and exhausted

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bin the insulin and start a fresh pen to check you haven't got a problem with the insulin.

If that doesn't help, remember things aren't static in type 1. Your insulin requirements can & do change. You might be seeing a wane of your honeymoon, or you might just need more insulin because it's gone colder. If you're carb counting, what is your insulin to carb ratio? That might need bumping up. If your waking up high that could indicate you need more basal, or it could be related to going to bed high, if your not sure consider basal testing.