Unexpected low BS after a high

MyM

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still fairly new to this so trying to understand some of my blood sugar readings, most of the time it's covered somewhere on the forum.

The other day I woke with BS around 6 which is normal for me, had a late breakfast egg/bacon which normally sees me through until dinner, levels would usually be mid 5's.. This time got a bit peckish mid-afternoon and only thing I could find was some white pita and hummus, I knew this would give me a spike but I was hungry! 3 hours later checked my BS before dinner and it was 11.0, thought it's a bit high but understandable perhaps, an hour and a half after a dinner of pork stew its 4.5.
I can understand the spike with the bread but what makes the rather sudden drop after eating?
It was my day off from gym, running etc so wasn't particularly active that would account for a delayed BS uptake.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, it does seem daft doesn't it!
Still fairly new to this so trying to understand some of my blood sugar readings, most of the time it's covered somewhere on the forum.

The other day I woke with BS around 6 which is normal for me, had a late breakfast egg/bacon which normally sees me through until dinner, levels would usually be mid 5's.. This time got a bit peckish mid-afternoon and only thing I could find was some white pita and hummus, I knew this would give me a spike but I was hungry! 3 hours later checked my BS before dinner and it was 11.0, thought it's a bit high but understandable perhaps, an hour and a half after a dinner of pork stew its 4.5.
I can understand the spike with the bread but what makes the rather sudden drop after eating?
It was my day off from gym, running etc so wasn't particularly active that would account for a delayed BS uptake.

Ok, your level pre eating is around 11. Your low carb stew, doesn't raise it at all, and thus your level drops as per normal to its level that you took a reading from.
In that context, it is nothing weird!
You seem to be doing quite well, keep it up, watch out for them carbs, they bite back!

Reactions: 2 people

MyM

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, I guess it's the spike that threw me in that case, I haven't been over 8 normally.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's possible the 11 was an error. If I get a reading that high, even if I've been naughty, I do it again at once and make sure I've washed my hands.
However, pitta and hummous will do me harm, for sure.