Unexpected weight loss

Cloobie

Hi I’ve posted a couple of times. Once about having a sweet sometimes my urine. (Still have that. And secondly that my hba1c had gone up quite a lot. But the last two weeks I’ve noticed a weight drop of about 10 pounds I don’t know if it’s my ulcerative colitis which has flared but has never caused weight loss before or maybe the empagliflozin that I started on around 3.5 weeks ago. I’m contacting my gp tomorrow. I’m wondering if passing sugar out of my body is causing weight loss also I have tried cutting carbs as much as possible but this seems to be a drastic amount of weight considering the usual effort I have to put in to lose a pound or two

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cutting carbs often causes quick weight loss, but it always best to check with the doctor if medications are involved, but be aware many medics don't believe in low carbing

Cloobie

Cutting carbs often causes quick weight loss, but it always best to check with the doctor if medications are involved, but be aware many medics don't believe in low carbing

Ok thank you. I’m just not sure I’ve cut enough to cause that much weight in a couple of weeks I’m on so much medication for a variety of issues and I eat like it’s going out of fashion I’m just trying to eat more greens veggies etc

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
are you type 1 or 2? Sudden weight loss can be a sign of type 1 starting. Do keep monitoring sugars and ketones, and get yourself to doctor, as you are complex case ( and lovely I'm sure )

Reactions: Cloobie

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Daplaflaglozin can certainly cause weight loss
I know you aren’t on that but I believe they are similar drugs.

when I was diagnosed I had rapid weight loss, likely caused by passing high levels of sugar in my urine. I’m type 2

so yes it’s possible lowering carbs and/or the drugs

but also could be a sign of type 1 as others have said. But best advice is to speak to the doctor to be sure

Reactions: Cloobie

Cloobie

are you type 1 or 2? Sudden weight loss can be a sign of type 1 starting. Do keep monitoring sugars and ketones, and get yourself to doctor, as you are complex case ( and lovely I'm sure )

Type 2 I didn’t manage to get hold of a dr today

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 2 I didn’t manage to get hold of a dr today

Hi there, how long have you been diagnosed as type 2 and do you know how they came to that diagnosis? As others have said, sudden (unintended) weight loss can be a STRONG sign of type 1, that was the first thing they asked me when I turned up at hospital with DKA. Not wishing to alarm you but it DOES need checking out. x

Cloobie

Hi there, how long have you been diagnosed as type 2 and do you know how they came to that diagnosis? As others have said, sudden (unintended) weight loss can be a STRONG sign of type 1, that was the first thing they asked me when I turned up at hospital with DKA. Not wishing to alarm you but it DOES need checking out. x

Hi I’ve been type 2 for four years. From prediabetic to actually getting diagnosed while in hospital for 6 months. I nearly died and they did lots of investigations as it happens I have chronic obstructive sleep apnoea and my Sats had dropped to 24 They didn’t originally know why my sats had dropped so low so investigates everything my hba1c has gone up from 50 July 2019 to 70 this past month I did lose 3 stone in 2019 intentionally but with lockdown etc and side effects of other meds the weight has crept back up apart from the sudden loss of 10 pounds in the last couple of weeks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When you are on a shed load of meds, it can be confusing to sort things out. Some statins will raise blood glucose for example. It's worth getting out all the leaflets and read them through.
I rattle when I walk.

Do you need to lose more weight?

Cloobie

When you are on a shed load of meds, it can be confusing to sort things out. Some statins will raise blood glucose for example. It's worth getting out all the leaflets and read them through.
I rattle when I walk.

Do you need to lose more weight?

Yes I need to lose lots more weight I’m not on statins but I am on

Nitrazepam 10 mg nocte
Sertraline 50 mg morne
Pregablin 100 mg bd
Meloxicam 15 mg Od
Haloperidol 5 mg nocte
Promethazine 25 mg nocte
Folic acid 5 mg morne
Glucophage 2000mg od
Asacol 800mg TDS
Empagliflozin 20 mg od
Lansiperazole 30 mg morne
Sulfasalazine 500mg bd
Zuclopenthixol deconate 100 mg Im injection once weekly
Zapain 2 x4 day

I have autoimmune disease and I struggle to exercise due to psoriatic arthritis I’ll ask for a chat with my pharmacist too.