Unhappy

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just had a visit from the district nurse to check my line dressing . I told her I have at least 3 hypos a day she said " Just ignore them they're the least of your worrys " . I was hoping she might offer advice . Has anyone got any suggestions please ?

Soo

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had a visit from the district nurse to check my line dressing . I told her I have at least 3 hypos a day she said " Just ignore them they're the least of your worrys " . I was hoping she might offer advice . Has anyone got any suggestions please ?

Soo
Sorry that nurse was lacking empathy.

Your avatar says you have prediabetes. Is that correct? Are you testing blood glucose? Are you sure they were hypos and the symptoms are not due to other meds, or anxieties?
Sorry, more questions than answers, but without the info, not sure what to suggest.

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @pip

I stopped testing due to the change of my diagnosis . I am prediabetic and it feels like hypos but like you say I am on a lot of new meds now. The hypos stop when I have fresh orange or a boiled sweet

Soo x

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Soo2 - do you use a meter to test your BG when you are feeling like you are having a hypo? Testing when you feel like you are having a hypo might just put your mind at rest that the feelings you are getting are from the new meds rather than a hypo - or, if it is a hypo, then you can deal with it (as you have been) and you will have proof to show your GP when you consult with him/her about it.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It could be insulin resistance causing the hypo symptoms. Or your other conditions, or meds, or a combination. You would know for sure if you could test when you have the symptoms.
If you feel better with a sweet or juice, then it would suggest low blood glucose. What is your normal diet? Maybe small meals more often with lower carbs would help.

Looks like you are having a tough time, generally, with your health at the moment. I would certainly mention to your doc what is going on, and the nurse needs to be told that you have a genuine concern about the hypo symptoms that needs to be addressed.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@Soo2 - I should have said that your nurse is a complete and very dangerous idiot to suggest that you ignore hypos.

I had this with a district nurse a few years ago; she was coming in to dress a wound from an operation and failed to spot that I was running a temperature and had an infection (from the operation) despite me saying I felt very ill. I was lucky, my husband was home and could tell by looking at me that all wasn't well and took me straight to hospital.

My stepson's wife is a district nurse and I'm sure she's the exception to the rule - but most of them seem to be only able to deal with one thing at a time.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No nurse should be telling you to ignore hypos... that is not wise. Then I agree with others with checking what your blood sugar actually is when you feel that way. You also may be just getting a sudden sugar drop that is causing your symptoms, although the level isn't in hypo range. But then on saying that you would need to monitor it should to become a hypo and treat accordingly. Then as others have mentioned it could be side effects of the other meds you're on. I know I certainly get some side effects from my other medications. I wish you the best. :)

Reactions: Prem51

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's terrible and it can't have helped the way you are feeling, hopefully she is a one off and others that come will have more sense. Sending you a hug (())

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for the replies . I have spoken to my gp , he called after lunch to chat about my care plan , and he as started me on Metformin 2x500g . He did a thumb prick and it was 3.6 so he decided to upgrade my diagnosis to type2 diabetes .

He said Oramorph as lots of sugar in so I am going to have a patch to wear for pain now and see if that's any better .

Soo. Xx

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much for the replies . I have spoken to my gp , he called after lunch to chat about my care plan , and he as started me on Metformin 2x500g . He did a thumb prick and it was 3.6 so he decided to upgrade my diagnosis to type2 diabetes .

He said Oramorph as lots of sugar in so I am going to have a patch to wear for pain now and see if that's any better .

Soo. Xx

I'm glad you're getting help. Although I'm wondering why he put you on metformin when he got a reading of 3.6? That's a low blood sugar reading. I'm guessing your hbA1c test result wasn't normal?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Soo

how low do you go ? metformin is usually given againts high blood glucose , even though it only lowers blood glucose a little and very indirectly....

you must have had really much higher blood glucose to have a reason to get metformin... how high is your HbA1c ? = " your long term averge level of blood glucose exposure " (3 month avarage or about that)

did he maybe mean that Oramorph many times can lead to too low blood glucose , thats what I read of the medication... so maybe he took you off of Oramorph ? or am I wrong in asuming that ?

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Soo. Xx

How very odd. Metformin is not normally given for low blood sugars, and if he has upgraded your diagnosis to Type 2 he must have a reason for it. Have you had a recent HbA1c or other diabetes glucose test? Even more odd to have low blood sugars if your Oramorph "has lots of sugars" in it.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally think that you would benefit from getting your self a blood glucose meter and test just before you eat and 2 hours after you have eaten .. also test if you feel light headed... then if you note the readings down you can at least understand what's going on .. 3.6 is quite low