Units per day

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Just want to ask out of curiousity :)
I still await results of what kind of diabetes I have, gp suspect some kind of mody. But still have to wait for results and see.

But I wanted to make a post here, bacause I know many type 1s use an insulin pump. I’ve suggested for my gp that I want a pump, because it would make my workday much easier.

I’ve got an appointement with a diabetes nurse, but she meant that pumps were more suited for people who used larger doses of insulin, and not for people like me who barely used any insulin at all.

So wanted to ask everyone out here, who use an insulin pump, how many units do you use a day?

I use around 30 units each day, and have to inject myself to every single meal (novorapid). Thought that was a fair amount of insulin, so would be great to get an idea of how dependent/not dependent I am of insulin :) Thanks :)

D

Deleted Account

I take about the same amount of insulin per day as you. I take mine through a pump. However...
  • Pumps usually require less insulin than injections
  • Pumps are not generally provided out of convenience. The NICE guidance is "People with Type 1 diabetes aged 12 years or over could have access to insulin pump therapy if they are experiencing “disabling hypoglycaemia” or have an Hba1c of 8.5 per cent or greater whilst using multiple daily injections (MDI) despite trying to achieve good control."
  • Pumps are not easy an easy option. You have to be more accurate with carb counting, you have to change your "sets" ever 2 to 4 days, you have to be ready for pump failure at any time, ...
  • Pumps are expensive. I have to insure my NHS provided pump for £3000 and then there are NHS costs for pump supplies, warranty, etc.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, well insulin pumps are covered by health care where I live, so insurance won’t be such a problem....

The problem with using finger prick and pen, is that I have a work were I am not allowed to show needles or bloor, so that makes it very hard for me to manage my diabetes at work :( Often happen that I do not eat while at work, so end up with feeling kind of ******. Which were the main reason for wanting a pump. It is very stressful, and well the only option beside to hanging in there is to quit my job.... which aren’t really an option. Not wanting to be negative or complain, just tried to tell my reason for wanting a pump :)

I know it is some kind of guidance to follow before giving a pump, and that my abnormal condiction doesn’t make it any easier for me to get one. But I just thought «using too less insulin» were an odd reason for not considering a pump as an option, when I don’t feel I use that little to be fair :)

But thanks for you reply :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I only use 25-30u per day in my pump, and like @helensaramay I have to insure it in case I lose or break it. And as she says, it’s really not an easy option - carb counting needs to be spot on accurate and betting basal right for every segment of the day can be really challenging.

Reactions: Emile_the_rat
D

Deleted Account

The problem with using finger prick and pen, is that I have a work were I am not allowed to show needles or bloor, so that makes it very hard for me to manage my diabetes at work
Unfortunately the pump does not do away with the need to prick your finger. Accurate bg monitoring becomes more important when on the pump than injecting.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately the pump does not do away with the need to prick your finger. Accurate bg monitoring becomes more important when on the pump than injecting.

I have rent a cgm at the hospital out next week, to see how it works. So I might get a cgm if things work out :) That would be one problem less at work. I know I have to calibrate the cgm, but thought that might be possible to do outside worktime?

Well I understand that a pump might require tighter blood sugar control, but I already have very good control, barely never hypos. So far the pen have been easy to use and helpfull. Just unfortunate that the needle makes problem in work situation, but I try my best to make it work with the pen for now :)

Think I just wanted to know if 30 units a day really were that low/little as my diabetic nurse suggested :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
What do you do for a job, out of curiosity? In many countries you’re protected as a type one - if you need to test or inject, employers have to accommodate that.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
Just want to ask out of curiousity :)
I still await results of what kind of diabetes I have, gp suspect some kind of mody. But still have to wait for results and see.

But I wanted to make a post here, bacause I know many type 1s use an insulin pump. I’ve suggested for my gp that I want a pump, because it would make my workday much easier.

I’ve got an appointement with a diabetes nurse, but she meant that pumps were more suited for people who used larger doses of insulin, and not for people like me who barely used any insulin at all.

So wanted to ask everyone out here, who use an insulin pump, how many units do you use a day?

I use around 30 units each day, and have to inject myself to every single meal (novorapid). Thought that was a fair amount of insulin, so would be great to get an idea of how dependent/not dependent I am of insulin :) Thanks :)

Hi,

Is this excluding the basal insulin? To clarify. Are you just asking regarding the Novorapid?
What is used for bolusing (to simplify.) is pretty much dependant on insulin to carb ratios from the individual, certain other factors like correction doses & the amount of carbs required in the diet?

For some reason. Judging by your avatar & the issue you face at work. I'm making a guess you work in the food hospitality industry....?

Craig1978

I use approx 120 units a day, split across 2 injections using a Mix insulin and have no need to consider a pump. From talking on here, the key is to what is best for you.

If you are in the UK, your employer cannot deny you the right to manage your condition. I get that there are certain jobs where this maybe tricky/awkward, but don't know what you do to see if this applies.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I use about 10% less on a pump about 70 Units a day, depending, if I get time to do lots of exercise that goes down to 40 units. I know in Australia that you can’t get a pump until you have been on insulin for a while, as you need to be practised at managing insulin and food. When things go wrong with a pump, they go wrong very quickly. Learning to manage D can be quite a challenge, so can a pump,both at the same time no thanks. With experience for the most part things are relatively easy. I can do a cannula / reservoir change in under 2 min whilst running out the door, initially that was 15min drama. My advice is go slow just follow your medical teams advice and over time you will wonder what all the initial fuss was all about.

Norman83

Guys, I recently was discovered as type 1 ( wit my diagnosed as type 2 for a while). At the very beginning I was using around 38 units humalog+tresiba(54). I started feeling better and gained like 12 kg, but lately my I inject insulin around 55-65 per day, some times even more if I eat chocolates. Most of the time, after the 3rd hour without eating, my bs goes up slowly as per freestyle sensor( showing ️)
For example:
-I ate at 4:00pm
-2 hours (6pm)after my sugar still not ideal despite I injected what I thought reasonable(as per my ratio calculation). So I had to correct it
- and 2 hrs later(8pm)let’s say it is in 100 which fine
- so I don’t eat anything after those 2 hours (8pm)as I’m not hungry
- but after 9pm, it starts going up slowly ️ and but still my sensor shows is stable, when I measure around every 20 min it goes like
Etc.
So at some point I have to eat and correct it with more insulin.
There are days of 70 u (without the tresiba basal)

Anyone could help here?
Is it that when you gained some weight, your needs increase also?
Or maybe that the tresiba is not enough do my actual weight?
I’m desperate here, at the beginning
I thought I would be able to manage this with 38 u humalog and 54 u of tresiba but it seems that am less sensible now that I gained some weight‍♂️
Helpppp

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks, well insulin pumps are covered by health care where I live, so insurance won’t be such a problem....

The problem with using finger prick and pen, is that I have a work were I am not allowed to show needles or bloor, so that makes it very hard for me to manage my diabetes at work :( Often happen that I do not eat while at work, so end up with feeling kind of ******. Which were the main reason for wanting a pump. It is very stressful, and well the only option beside to hanging in there is to quit my job.... which aren’t really an option. Not wanting to be negative or complain, just tried to tell my reason for wanting a pump :)

I know it is some kind of guidance to follow before giving a pump, and that my abnormal condiction doesn’t make it any easier for me to get one. But I just thought «using too less insulin» were an odd reason for not considering a pump as an option, when I don’t feel I use that little to be fair :)

But thanks for you reply :)
If your diagnosis comes through as type 1 then I can't understand why you wouldn't get a pump. I take about 20 units daily as a basal dose with about 6 bolus on a low carb diet.
Re testing with finger pricks, I'd ask about the systems which combine pump with a continuous glucose monitor (cgm) e.g. the dexcom (FDA approved if you are in the US).
Here in the UK pumps are rationed although I think any new type 1 would need plenty of support to adapt to dosing requirements for meals and more critically, the basal rate.
Best of luck with your choices and that diagnosis!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi @Emile_the_rat , I take between, 26 and 28 units per day, that includes my Tresiba basal insulin, which is 10 units in the morning,