University question, please help

baby_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I'm (hopefully) going to be going to university in september and i was wondering if any Diabetic students claim Disabled students allowance? I've applied and i've been told i can be refunded for buying a small fridge to keep my medication in my room in the halls of residence. Was anybody told anything different or offered anything different?

Thanks in advance,
BA :)

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds like the sort of thing dsa is for, so I'd think you will get it no problem. They were quite quick processing my claim for computer stuff (not because of diabetes sadly they won't give you a laptop for that!) so hopefully you will get yours sorted quickly.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Even without a DSA, a second hand fridge is pretty cheap. Ironically, it's probably easier to get refunded when paying more for a fridge from a shop than from a person. Some years after diagnosis, I lived in a series of hostels in London and Belfast, as an MSc student and soon after. I don't think DSA existed then (1997/98), but fortunately, insulin was safe in shared fridges, although I deliberately split it between 2 fridges, in case one failed or one stash was moved. In the last hostel, when no longer a student, and where food theft was a problem, I mentioned my need to keep insulin securely, and they provided a fridge on loan in my room.
I'd suggest getting a modest sized domestic fridge, rather than a tiny beer fridge, as a 1m high fridge is an ideal platform for a kettle, toaster etc.

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I work at the University of Bristol in the Halls of Residence and the University purchases the fridge for you at no charge to you. All you need to do is state on your application form that you have type 1 diabetes and require a medical fridge. You will also need a letter from your GP confirming this. I don't know if this is the case for all Universities but we don't allow students to bring their own fridge because of appliance testing requirements.

Hope this helps.