1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Unpaid

Discussion in 'Jobs and Employment' started by Rabdos, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Rabdos

Rabdos Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I went on a job and they gave me uniform and trained me for few minutes then I worked as normal for the rest of the shift. However, I decided this is not for me so I quited. Now they don't pay me for that day, is this legal? They argue that they spend money on uniform (I returned it) and that I was training on that day (which is not true, because I just did the job for the rest of the shift). I was never told that first day would be training and it would be unpaid. Any advice?

2. vic hill

vic hill Type 1 · Well-Known Member

carbolysis
    how mush would you HAVE BEEN PAID net or tax to deduct
    interested member
    vic

3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

The cheek of them, assuming you had a contract of employment you could check the terms and see if it mentions non-payment for the first shift (but I doubt it will).

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

It will probably state in the contract of employment, what the period of notice to quit is. It could be two days or five days in retail etc.

I suggest the OP goes to the business's union rep, and put a complaint in about non payment of wages after quitting on day one of employment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook