Unpublished Data Review: The Minnesota Coronary Experiment (1968-73)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@BrianTheElder Well that is difficult to say but I doubt taking statins would be the answer the trick is not end up with a high score did you keep your score low by taking statins for most of your adult life or do you think its attributable to something else.Maybe in your diet or lifestyle.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @JohnEGreen I found that very informative, although I would normally ignore a recommendation from the AHA.
As someone aged 74 with a very low calcium score, I am pleased I went to the trouble, expense and risk of having a scan. On the other hand, if the score had been high, what could I do about it?
Starting to be some interesting work done with vitamins.. will let you know if I hear of anything concrete.
You might find this thread interesting although I haven't had time to read all of the studies listed yet
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/bad-calcium-score-how-to-reduce-it/30920

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
@BrianTheElder Well that is difficult to say but I doubt taking statins would be the answer the trick is not end up with a high score did you keep your score low by taking statins for most of your adult life or do you think its attributable to something else.Maybe in your diet or lifestyle.
I had my first calcium scan 6 years ago and got a score of zero. After some problems with high cholesterol (u
nfortunately I am a hyper-responder)
after going on a keto diet, I had a second test last year, result 3. After discussion with my heart consultant and GP, I have decided to return to a low dose of statins (10mg Atorvastatin) because of family medical history. I was previously on 40mg of Atorvastatin for more than 10 years, but stopped when the keto removed my T2D symptoms.
I felt really good about coming off all meds, but to be truthful, I might also consider going back on a low dose of Metformin if offered. Taking appropriate medication has to be a consideration; being proud will not get me to 100.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Err you seem to be fixated on statins of what possible benefit would it be to start taking statins in your seventies for the most part it is not even recommended for healthy males over 65 to do so now.

"
The latest analysis revisits selected results from a large trial completed some 13 years ago. The researchers considered data from 2,867 participants over 65 without any evidence of heart disease who were randomly assigned to the statin pravastatin or usual care, then followed for over 4.5 years.

The researchers looked at the effects of the statin on deaths from any cause, and deaths from heart disease and heart attacks in people aged 65-75 and over 75. They found no difference in any of these outcomes for either of the age groups and even raised concern of the potential for harm in people aged over 75.

The study authors concluded that the benefits previously ascribed to statins may have been overstated for older people."

http://theconversation.com/how-old-is-too-old-for-cholesterol-lowering-medications-78102