Unused, too short too long, insulin Pen Needles…

robertFE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Due to the advice by those who don’t inject daily, we have been advised over time you use various mm fine point or other insulin pen needles.

So I find going through one of my medicine filled drawers, which I suspect we all have, a mix of 4mm, 8mm, 12mm insulin pen needles that I will never use, since I prefer using 6mm (after a long battle with my diabetic nurse).

Being diagnosed in August 1973 with type one diabetes, I have no diabetes related issues, apart from lumps and bumps where injections have been done over time, though 51 years of 4 injections a day (and the occasional SAM issue like covid), equates to (excluding flu jabs and vaccines) roughly 74,256 injections - so when someone says to me I’m afraid of needles I go slightly emotional and apply swear words.

I had been told (laughingly) that because this year is my 50th year surviving diabetes, I might receive a gold Freestyle Libre 2 or a watch saying “50 years diabetic handle with care”.

So going back to the needles topic, how do I dispose of these, some are unopened, some are due to need to obviously inject because I ran out, then realised they weren’t comfortable or suitable (a 12mm means if your travelling you need to take 4 to use daily, because you cannot use them again, because your NovoPen lid can’t be closed, some might argue that’s a good thing because your changing them for each injection, but you try going through US customs with over 80 needles in you hand luggage, without questions - irrespective if you say your diabetic).

Do I dispose of the needles by :

a) taking them to my local pharmacy (I live in a village so local is 8 miles away).
b) dispose of them by throwing away the box and putting all the unused insulin pen needles into a sharps box for incineration - though a normal sharps box would become full with just one box of insulin pen needles, I would need at least a 4 litre to hold two or three boxes worth.
c) isn’t there a charity or something that can utilise these unused - still sterile single use with the paper tabs on, needles - I mean Ukraine or other countries must have diabetics, we aren’t that unique.

Reactions: Antje77

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This charity takes unused insulin and supplies that they redistribute to other countries in need

robertFE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This charity takes unused insulin and supplies that they redistribute to other countries in need

Many thanks, but sadly they quote on the site “We are always very grateful for the donations of unwanted, in-date and unused insulin and other diabetes supplies, such as needles, lancets and test strips. This is a great help to people with diabetes in developing countries. However, due to regulations during the pandemic, we have been unable to send insulin or other items for several months and this does not seem likely to change in the foreseeable future.”

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Many thanks, but sadly they quote on the site “We are always very grateful for the donations of unwanted, in-date and unused insulin and other diabetes supplies, such as needles, lancets and test strips. This is a great help to people with diabetes in developing countries. However, due to regulations during the pandemic, we have been unable to send insulin or other items for several months and this does not seem likely to change in the foreseeable future.”
They've also got page about donating supplies to Ukraine elsewhere in the website

so it may be worth emailing or phoning to clarify??? Maybe the restrictions are just for donations to developing countries?

Reactions: lovinglife

robertFE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

SimonP78

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have similar stashes, I hang on to them as you never know when you need something sharp and pointy (though with the bevelled end they are perhaps rather too sharp and pointy for most tasks).

The issue you may have is that they have an expiry date, so no-one may want them.