Unusual Hypo

T1Daily

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently I had a hypo when I was sleeping, so I got out of bed and went to the kitchen to get something to eat, I was eating, and I did not realise what I was doing when I looked down and saw food in front of me and I was very confused as to when I had gotten out of bed, or even . It was like I had just woken up. It kind of scared me. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Last edited:
Reactions: Grant_Vicat

W.bubble13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes I have a really similar we’re I didn’t realise I came out of bed till my mum shouted that my bus was out side. I was so out there of it that I feel and hit my head it scared me to x

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Recently I had a hypo when I was sleeping, so I got out of bed and went to the kitchen to get something to eat, I was eating, and I did not realise what I was doing when I looked down and saw food in front of me and I was very confused as to when I had gotten out of bed, or even . It was like I had just woken up. It kind of scared me. Has anyone had a similar experience?
The following is taken from the book in the picture:

1990 While working on the organ of Our Lady of Victories in Kensington High Street, I was asked by John Bailey, the Ipswich Manager to go and buy some lunch for both of us. “Here is £10”. Being a ‘naturally obedient’ individual, I walked to Marks and Spencer’s at the east end of the street, next to Barker’s. This necessitated crossing four side roads. Having arrived in the Food Hall, I remember picking up a cheaper packet of sandwiches for John, who was perched high above the ground in a navy grey bird hide, (actually a Swell box in the organ) and a Melton Mowbray pork pie for me. I was having enormous difficulty with calculating the carbohydrate total. The next part of the story brings me to the church kitchen, at least forty minutes later. John was standing the other side of the table looking quizzically at me:

“Er, did you get the sandwiches?”

“I think so” (He spotted them on the table with evidence of some consumption).

“Er, did you actually get a receipt?”

“I don’t know.”

“Well, where is it?”

After ‘swimming' through my wallet, shoulder bag and pockets, I returned £10 to John.

“Er do you realise that you must have stolen those?”

I was on the verge of unconsciousness.

In fact I must have been semi-conscious for a considerable time. I had no recollection of leaving M&S or crossing four side streets. The brain, when it is starved of energy, does extraordinary things. On 2 occasions hypos caused me to fit. Over the years (54 with Type 1 until 2013) I had many different hypo experiences which weirdly fascinate me. All the very best

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ah yes, once at work someone gave me a very important document that I needed to do something with urgently. I could feel I was dropping but with the panic of "you must do this now!" combined with a not fully functioning brain I decided to do the important thing first before dealing with the hypo. Next thing I remember I was in the Ladies shovelling glucose down my throat. "well done on doing the important thing" my boss said
"thanks?" I said with zero memory of it.
"Anyway can I have important document back?" she asked.
"erm..."
We searched high and low for that thing and to this day I have no idea what happened to it. Luckily she was very sympathetic but even so I would love to know what I got up to in that missing 30mins!