Unwell and on Probationary Period

ButterflyWine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All! I started a new job at the end of September and so far I've had to take 2 week's off sick already due to feeling very unwell - bad headaches, severe nausea, vomiting, blurred vision etc all the signs of hyperglycaemia. I've been trying to get treatment from my GP but they keep wanting to treat the individual issues. I've had an endoscopy, numerous anti sickness meds, painkillers etc. I can rarely get an appointment with a doctor, it's usually a paramedic who calls me and all he does is arrange for yet another blood test and doesn't listen to me. I feel so unwell and so sick. I'm struggling to read my laptop screen my vision is so blurry. I'm going to call 111 at lunch time but I'm wondering whether I ought to be signed off until this is sorted, or should I just get on with it? I just don't know what to do as I'm still on my probation period at work. Please help!!?

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ButterflyWine, sorry to hear of your situation. Do you have a glucose meter to actually check how high your levels are at these times?, otherwise it matters not what you say to your GP, they will try and brush you off based on your suppositions. If you can get hold of one then the best thing to do is check your levels before eating and then 2 hours after. You can check in between too, ie first thing in the morning. By producing data it puts you in a much stronger position when trying to tell the GP that your symptoms actually match your glucose levels. Also, what is a typical days diet for you?, do you feel the symptoms after a high carb meal etc? Also it could be something else entirely. As for your job, that can be quite tricky but at this stage I would get them to 'register' you as having a disability under the Disability Act (in the UK) as that way you will have extra protection if any future sickness can be put down to your disability.

wozey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In your first year of employment it’s very easy to manage someone out of a business and if you’re going off sick already the chances are the will find a reason to terminate your employment while it’s easier to do, I’m assuming you haven’t been diagnosed with anything so it’s unlikely you could fall under the disability act. Look the fact is you can only control what you do, if you’re not fit to be at work then you don’t really need to ask the question and you should go off work and you know what, if they don’t want to support you do you really want to work for them?

Reactions: JAT1