upping Metformin

Nixterjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed 4 weeks and am currently on 1x500 metformin and am due to get my second blood test in a few weeks time, i have changed diet and started exercise and have dropped 2 stone and my levels are all within normal limits now, the DN wants to up my metformin on my next visit … what i want to know is can i say no !!! i have worked soo hard to get where i am and would like to continue with diet and exercise and minimal dose if possible … im a bit of a people pleaser and worried to say no or is it wise to just accept it ?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed 4 weeks and am currently on 1x500 metformin and am due to get my second blood test in a few weeks time, i have changed diet and started exercise and have dropped 2 stone and my levels are all within normal limits now, the DN wants to up my metformin on my next visit … what i want to know is can i say no !!! i have worked soo hard to get where i am and would like to continue with diet and exercise and minimal dose if possible … im a bit of a people pleaser and worried to say no or is it wise to just accept it ?
You might see a normal HbA1c, or certainly be much reduced from diagnosis - you could just ask what good it will do to take more tablets and decline the increase. If for some reason there is not much improvement then it ought to set off alarm bells indicating that you are something more interesting than an ordinary type two - but you really have the wait for the retest.
Hopefully you are feeling better for the diagnosis and change in blood glucose levels.

Nixterjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You might see a normal HbA1c, or certainly be much reduced from diagnosis - you could just ask what good it will do to take more tablets and decline the increase. If for some reason there is not much improvement then it ought to set off alarm bells indicating that you are something more interesting than an ordinary type two - but you really have the wait for the retest.
Hopefully you are feeling better for the diagnosis and change in blood glucose levels.

i feel great after starting low carb and my BG levels are down from 11’s to between low 5’s and 6 before and after meals and fasting down to 6 so would like to get that down further still .. im dreading what the bloods show after 1st being 79 and will feel so disappointed if not much has changed

• Winner
Reactions: fumanchu and Paul_

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You have 3 options:

1) Follow the nurse's advice and increase your dosage.

2) Decline the increased dosage, explain your reasons why, and tell the nurse you want to review when your next HBA1C is done.

3) Tell the nurse what they want to hear, then do what you want. Avoids potential conflict, but may mean you have explaining to do later down the line if your HBA1C doesn't reduce.

No one here can advise you which to do. All I would say is I'd recommend reading up on Metformin side effects and benefits, then decide if it's for you. It agrees with some, but not others. Beyond that, it's your life, your health, and your body - you have the right to make any decision you want.