Upset tummy & high bg

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicey food, taxi drivers, hypos & hypers, pigeons, hospitals, dentists, my GP, my ****** immune system.
Question for you all. When your sugar goes high, do you find that your stomach cramps up, you get awful wind and you get the runs? (Yeah I know lovely question but I am getting majorly fed up!)

Thanks!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Yes - all of those symptoms I suffer with too and it's a bit of a viscous circle then because I feel awful and i can't sleep and then when I don't sleep well I fell worse and BSs go higher!

A

Anonymous

check for ketones my tummy feels like a washing m/c best way to describe it, when i have ketones, possible a bug with the diarrhoea which can lead to high blood reading and Ketones, if you not so the ring nhs direct,

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicey food, taxi drivers, hypos & hypers, pigeons, hospitals, dentists, my GP, my ****** immune system.
Yes the sensation like churching...washing machine spin! Ive also noticed the last week or two that my pee is very yellow even when my bg levels are low. What are the definitive symptoms of dka?

Thank you for the replies cos I thought I was starting to lose my marbles!

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
How do you test for ketones with dipsticks? If so, where do you get them? X

A

Anonymous

Diabetes and Ketones

Ketones in the blood occurs when the body burns its own fat

Ketone Guides
Ketones
Testing for ketones
Diabetic ketoacidosis
Ketonuria
The presence of high levels of ketones in the bloodstream is a common complication of diabetes, which if left untreated can lead to ketoacidosis.

Ketones build up when there is insufficient insulin to help fuel the body’s cells.

High levels of ketones are therefore more common in people with type 1 diabetes or people with advanced type 2 diabetes.

If you are suffering from high levels of ketones and seeking medical advice, contact your GP or diabetes healthcare team as soon as possible.

What exactly are ketones, and what do they have to do with diabetes?
Ketones are an acid remaining when the body burns its own fat.

When the body has insufficient insulin, it cannot get glucose from the blood into the body's cells to use as energy and will instead begin to burn fat.

When the body is burning too much fat, it may cause ketones to become present in the bloodstream.

if you belive you may have DKA then contact you out of hours GP or hospital ASAP,as if untreated if will only great worse and you may go into a coma.if you have Dka it is easy to treat with advice from you DSN and Drs.go to the ketone section of this website that will tell you more about it.

A

Anonymous

dipsticks from you gp.if you are feeling that ill and cant wait till the morning go to a A&E and get them to test.

caraj

Hello all,

I was diagnosed with Diabetes as i suffered from DKA for about 3 weeks before getting checked out.

I had a furry mouth, felt really, really thirsty constantly and couldn't quench it no matter what i drank .... as it turns out i was making it worse as i was drinking all sorts of sugary drinks thinking it would quench my thurst but obviously didn't.

I spent 3 weeks like the above and making numerous trips to the "ladies room", i was getting up 5 or 6 times a night to go to the toilet as well as more than occasional visits during the day :-(

I think the above best describes my symptoms of DKA.

Very thirsty, hence lot of trips to the toilet and furry mouth.

Hope this helps,
Cara :)

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I can go to my GP's open surgery first thing in the morning they should be able to test me. I will make sure I get some dipsticks though from the doctor to test from now on. To be honest this has been going on for nearly 2 weeks now and I just feel constantly wiped, bloated, crampy and gasy. Fed up now. Thanks for all the advice Pump994, and everyone else. I'll let you know how I get on. X

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cara, it sounds very similar to what I'm feeling at the moment. Im glad you got sorted out! X

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dipsticks can test urine ketones but rather ask for blood ketone strips as they give a much more accurate picture. Urine ketones can give a delayed result, it shows what the ketone level is in your urine which could be several hours old. Blood ketones will tell you exactly right now what your blood ketone level is, not a result based on several hours ago. The Abbott Optium Xceed test meter will take blood ketone strips and you can get them on prescription from your doctor. As a type 1 diabetic you should have them in stock at home all the time so that when you get ill you can test frequently to make sure the level isn't getting too high. How to interpret the results can be found here http://www.dmforum.org.uk/DMF/PDF/blood ... ing_A4.pdf

ps. if it is DKA you shouldn't wait until the morning, you'd need to go to A&E now but as it's the morning now that advice is too late :)

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Yes - always ensure you test for ketones. I have he strips/meter on prescitption. As I said above, if my sugars are running higher I get the symptoms you first described, but as others have said, and on my DSN advice, I also test for ketones if my blood sugars are over 13/14. I have had ketones appear twice (lower levels once which I quickly treated and again when I ended up in hospital - more down to being new to a pump and not sure how to get blood sugars down quickly). On all other occasions when my sensative stomach is playing havoc with me it's been as a result of my sugars running even slightly higher. Testing or ketones is important though and it also stops me panicking. Good luck.