Urea levels

Becca6510

Hi everyone.

I’m ckd stage 3 and after a recent hospital trip, my egfr stayed stable but my urea was a bit high at 10.1... it’s really hard as dietician wants me to lose weight and for my mental health been enjoying the gym going low carb, so probably eating more protein and veggies and trying to do a low potassium diet. IM SO STRESSED!

It’s a hard one to juggle for sure. Has any one had this problem, or knows how much protein is ‘enough’ or any other way to get it down.

Thanks!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Hi everyone.

I’m ckd stage 3 and after a recent hospital trip, my egfr stayed stable but my urea was a bit high at 10.1... it’s really hard as dietician wants me to lose weight and for my mental health been enjoying the gym going low carb, so probably eating more protein and veggies and trying to do a low potassium diet. IM SO STRESSED!

It’s a hard one to juggle for sure. Has any one had this problem, or knows how much protein is ‘enough’ or any other way to get it down.

Thanks!
Hi @Becca6510 you might find this link useful:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/low-protein-diet#sample-menu

I'd be careful with some of the info. For example it recommends grapefruit, but grapefruit is known to harm the action of many drugs. If you are on hypertensive drugs, this would be a case in point for many of them. Also it lists strawberries and tomatoes.I was advised to avoid them unless I cut the seeds off the strawberries and the seeds out of the tomatoes. This is because seeds are packed with phosphates which exacerbate kidney damage. Vanilla ice cream is therefore out because vanilla is from a seed pod, as is cocoa and I'm afraid, coffee. This is why I still drink peppermint tea, having got used to it for 13 years! Are you anywhere near a decent teaching/university hospital with a high power dietician in the renal department? Mine was very useful - I am lucky to be near Cambridge, who carried out my transplant 6 years ago on 13th August. I hope this is of some help and that you manage to de-stress somewhat. Good luck!

Becca6510

Hi @Becca6510 you might find this link useful:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/low-protein-diet#sample-menu

I'd be careful with some of the info. For example it recommends grapefruit, but grapefruit is known to harm the action of many drugs. If you are on hypertensive drugs, this would be a case in point for many of them. Also it lists strawberries and tomatoes.I was advised to avoid them unless I cut the seeds off the strawberries and the seeds out of the tomatoes. This is because seeds are packed with phosphates which exacerbate kidney damage. Vanilla ice cream is therefore out because vanilla is from a seed pod, as is cocoa and I'm afraid, coffee. This is why I still drink peppermint tea, having got used to it for 13 years! Are you anywhere near a decent teaching/university hospital with a high power dietician in the renal department? Mine was very useful - I am lucky to be near Cambridge, who carried out my transplant 6 years ago on 13th August. I hope this is of some help and that you manage to de-stress somewhat. Good luck!

Thanks grant. Oh god I’ve been living off strawberries recently

I love peppermint tea my renal dietician is awful. She didn’t understand about low carb in diabetics. She just read off a leaflet and gave it me. Do not have much faith.

They have put me on labetalol instead of ramipril - have you any experiences with it?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone.

Thanks!

Becca - Have you signed up for the Type 1 programme? It isn't out in the wild yet, but in the T2 programme, you are encouraged to add any addition conditions you suffer from, and ant particular allergies or dietary issues you have.

I added my requirement to be gluten-free and it became quite content specific.

To be clear, I didn't "do" the whole programme, as I was already in remission (or whatever elese you want to call it) by the time it launched, but I was interested.

You can register here, and you'll be notified when it goes live: http://type1program.com/

I know there's a lot to take on board, then having to consider something else for your potassium, and I felt very grumpy when I had to go gluten-free (even though I ate very little), so I do get how you feel. All I'll say is like other things, you'll get into a groove and find things easier with time.

Good luck with it all.

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Thanks grant. Oh god I’ve been living off strawberries recently

I love peppermint tea my renal dietician is awful. She didn’t understand about low carb in diabetics. She just read off a leaflet and gave it me. Do not have much faith.

They have put me on labetalol instead of ramipril - have you any experiences with it?
No! I was on enalapril, irbesartan and indapemide. I notice labetalol is also affected by grapefruit. Could you bear to trim the seeds off the strawberries. A low phosphate diet can be so overwhelming that I was always looking for ways round it. The first treat I had, just after my kidney transplant, was a Magnum! After 13 years it was pure nectar!