Use of Control Solutions

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you deduce anything from control solutions apart from the fact that your meter isn't actually broken? My new Tee2 has a solution which has a range of 5.9 to 8.9 which is +/- 20% of the centre point of 7.4. When I tried it, the reading was 8.4 does this mean my meter reads 1 mmol/L high?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no idea, I never use control solution, but my eyes caught hold of the +/- 20% bit.

In 2013 new, tighter accuracy standards (ISO: 15197:2013) were drawn up, requiring that 95% of blood glucose results should reach the following standard

• Within ± 0.83 mmol/L of laboratory results at concentrations of under 5.6 mmol/L
    (Within ± 15 mg/dl of laboratory results at concentrations of under 100 mg/dL)
  • Within ± 20% of laboratory results at concentrations of 5.6 mmol/L (100 mg/dL) or more
The 2013 guidelines also now stipulate that 99% of readings must fall within zones A and B of the Consensus Error Grid for type 1 diabetes.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi Mr pot it's funny you should ask this question I wasn't to sure about this my self so I phoned my meter company and had a word pleasent lady told me to go by what's on the side of test strips tube if the numbers are within this range then meter should be fine not certain if all test strip tubes have this on but mine does? This may help hope so let us know .

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mr pot it's funny you should ask this question I wasn't to sure about this my self so I phoned my meter company and had a word pleasent lady told me to go by what's on the side of test strips tube if the numbers are within this range then meter should be fine not certain if all test strip tubes have this on but mine does? This may help hope so let us know .
My test strips have the control range on the tub, which is where I got the above figures from. The control solution just says Control A on the bottle. Suppose my BG is actually 7.4 then the meter could read anywhere between 5.9 and 8.9 which is pretty useless for tight control.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My test strips have the control range on the tub, which is where I got the above figures from. The control solution just says Control A on the bottle. Suppose my BG is actually 7.4 then the meter could read anywhere between 5.9 and 8.9 which is pretty useless for tight control.

I believe all it means is that as it was within the 5.9 to 8.9 range, the meter is working correctly within that range, and not broken. I'm afraid we all have to put up with these meter foibles, but its all we have at the moment.

I have seen on here and elsewhere that the TEE2 and the Codefree read much the same as each other, on average. As it is well known on this forum that the Codefree reads high, on average, I can only assume so does the TEE2.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Mr pot. I agree not to good for tight control but suppose it's best they can do? keep well.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have both a code free and a new Tee2 and the Tee2 is reading over a point higher than the code free . I'm now liking my code free more !! I did do the test solution on the Tee2 and it was within range so will keep it as a back up

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
I have a Tee2 and a glucoRX Nexus. At lower levels they are fairly consistent, but for higher numbers the Tee2 reads much higher than the nexus. Both are in range according to their control solutions. I have put the Tee2 away -mainly because I find it difficult to read.

Vaper

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being in control
Hi, I have the one touch select plus an it reads within the range on the side of the bottle which is 5.4-7.3mmol/l,
I only control test if my readings move significantly.

Eddie65

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Can't say
Hi, I've just got the Tee2+ (new to Type2). I haven't ordered the control solution yet! Do I need to have the control solution, is it essential for calibrating the monitor or can I just crack on without? Thanks in advance once again. :)

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I've just got the Tee2+ (new to Type2). I haven't ordered the control solution yet! Do I need to have the control solution, is it essential for calibrating the monitor or can I just crack on without? Thanks in advance once again. :)
There is no way of calibrating the monitor so just crack on. I haven't felt the need to use control solution since I started this thread 4 years ago.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Can you deduce anything from control solutions apart from the fact that your meter isn't actually broken? My new Tee2 has a solution which has a range of 5.9 to 8.9 which is +/- 20% of the centre point of 7.4. When I tried it, the reading was 8.4 does this mean my meter reads 1 mmol/L high?
No it just mean your meter is working within its designed parameters you may find the next pot of strips you have may read differently as it may also do at differ t temperatures etc

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No it just mean your meter is working within its designed parameters you may find the next pot of strips you have may read differently as it may also do at differ t temperatures etc
Just as well I didn't wait 4 years for an answer! :)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the seven years I have been using various brands of meter from Acu-Chek, Abbott, Contour. I have never used control solution.

I have had one one meter, a Contour Next One that I could see was reading wrong against my Abbott Freedom Lite, so I binned it. The Contour Next meter I am using now is reading about the same as my Abbott.

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bought the Accu-Chek Mobile out of haste one day, it was the only one available in Boots.
Best machine I ever bought, been accurate to +/- 0.2 mmol/L of lab draws.
It's the one with the cassette instead of the strips.
Expensive though if you test multiple times a day, works out about 50p a test.

Found the Codefree was a turkey shoot depending on the batch of strips.