Using a new blood-glucose meter

CGous

Heyy :) I have a problem and I wanted to discuss it with you guys. Since I found out about my diabetes, I have been using one meter: Bayer Contour USB. I decided to change it for Bayer Contour USB Next, the new one! I started using it on Monday. And all the time after I count myself 2 hours after any meal it is always high, something rare for me. Today after lunch, I counted my blood sugar with the old meter and the new one. The new one said my blood sugar was 211 mg/dl and the old one said 166mg/dl. I then re-counted my blood sugar on the new one, to see if anything was wrong and it said 236 mg/dl. What should I do about my problem?? I could really use help from you guys!

garethnpc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya :)

Ive had similar problems myself. When changing from my old meter to a new one, I was testing with both to check accuracy. The new meter I had (Glucomen LXplus) was giving lower results, and the older meter (Insulinx) was slightly higher, more diverese results like on your new one. I wasnt sure on which one to believe, although I was encouraged to think the new meter was more accurate. For piece of mind, I used a friends (also a diabetic) meter which in fact was a Bayer, and then both my meters afterwards (At this point fingers throbbing lol). The new meter I had (Glucomen) matched the exact reading of my friends meter, and my old meter (insulinx) gave a higher reading by 2 mmol. That was enough eveidence for me that my old meter was inaccurate, by quite a way aswel. If I was you, I would compare to a third meter like I did, probably best to take to the diabetic nurse who will have a good working one and at the same time get some professional advice. But it seems to me that your new meter might not be accurate enough for you to manage youre diabetes effectively :) Hope this helps

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Go with the meter that gives you a 90 day average closest to your hba1c

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you go to the Bayer Web site and register your meter , you can then order some test solution to check your meter . Is free and there's lots of other free stuff too e.g. pouches, log books.Worth a look:razz:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The leaflet that comes with your test strips has information on the accuracy data of your meter. they are only required to be accurate within about 20%. My Freestyle Lite scores quite well there. [ It hasn't a lot of bells and whistles though, for techies.]
Hana