Using an Open Loop Artificial Pancreas System

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Over the past couple of weeks, I've been using the HAPP open loop artificial pancreas system as derived from OpenAPS. It's essentially the OpenAPS code ported to run on an Android phone, and we are working on trying to get it talking to various pumps. It was the main reason I wanted to get the xDrip platform up and running.

It's been an interesting experience handing control of my insulin over to an algorithm (all be it with my agreement on its decisions) but the outcome of it has rather shocked me.

It all works very simply. You tell it your high and low limits, and your target glucose level. You then give it your pump basal rates over 24 hours, your Insulin Sensitivity Factor, Insulin Carb ratio, Insulin Duration and a carb absorption rate (a variable that needs a bit of work) and then it used the data from the CGM to tell you how to adjust your basal, if you need additional bolus, etc. This is the product that Tim Omer has been seen in the news talking about. I've got it all linked up to my Nightscout implementation so that I can generate a decent set of reports to see how it is all working.

You can limit the maximum basal you allow it to apply and really you should configure your pump to have a maximum temporary basal in line with what is set in HAPP. I find that I end up setting Extended Boluses a lot because I can't set my temporary rate high enough. It also tend to correct with higher basal rates rather than using bolus corrections.

The results from the first two weeks of using it have been really interesting. Below are my AGP, hourly stats and distribution. This hasn't been a particularly low carb period and has included a day where I ate Pizza, Hummingbird cupcake, and various cookies. These numbers, in light of that, are really quite remarkable! The target range being shown is aligned with that of the studies done by UK HCPs and ranges from 4.4 to 10. I have to admit I'm really impressed. The biggest gain being in the narrowness of the 10-90th range.

IMG_3159_zps28g4oxjs.jpg

IMG_3161_zpsbmlf6wfw.jpg

IMG_3160_zpsvtyw5hqn.jpg

All in all, with the experience of the last couple of weeks, I'm going to keep on using it. It's been really impressive and has provided some interesting insight into managing myself.

One of the most difficult parts of this experience has been trusting that the algorithm knows what it is doing. The learning experience is really that it does everything far more slowly and calmly than I would, and instead of hammering in a rage bolus to bring down a climbing blood glucose, suggests a significant hike in basal to account for it. It means the drop out is a much slower incline. In spite of that, its prediction capability is surprisingly good and as you can see, it's done a remarkably good job!

I'll update further as I use it more, and hopefully, when we finally get a closed loop version up and running. If you've any questions, feel free to ask!

Reactions: 14 people

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use basal to help correct for protein spikes.
Cheers for this review. Very interesting.

Reactions: Sadjers

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
good to hear its doing such a good job for you

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It sounds awesome.may I ask how you got involved in it?
It's open source, and part of the #wearenotwaiting movement. Anyone can participate. I had a conversation with Tim Omer about having the Dex transmitters and it went from there.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
wow tim -- that is an amazing graph -- specially the 4am to 10pm time indicators

keep us updated please !!:)