Using stevia in gluten free baking

Clementine68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am coeliac as well as being type 1 and considering trying to use stevia instead of sugar in my baking. I just wanted to know what experience people have with this in baking. I have never even tried stevia so not sure if it even tastes nice but as myself and my two older brothers are type 1 and my niece cannot eat dairy was going to try making a gluten free, sugar free and dairy free cake.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

If I may suggest, I'd recommend a little lower oven-temp, and to compensate for that, a little longer stay in the oven.
Moreover just follow the recipe.
Depending on manufacturer of the stevia-sweetener, it is possible, that you can get a slightly metallic taste from it...

Reactions: Clementine68

Clementine68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!

If I may suggest, I'd recommend a little lower oven-temp, and to compensate for that, a little longer stay in the oven.
Moreover just follow the recipe.
Depending on manufacturer of the stevia-sweetener, it is possible, that you can get a slightly metallic taste from it...
Do you use any particular one?

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eh, I'd gladly give some suggestions, but your assortment in GB is probably not the same as here in Finland, sorry...:(

Just hit me a few minutes later...Multinational mammoths are everywhere
Canderel crystalline stevia (not the powder). A bit expensive over here though.

Edited the next day, mostly because of a lousy memory:

There is another brand called Stevia Sweet, and this one is my own favorite (i.e. the crystalline kind).
Only problem (?) is, that it contains some other stuff except for only the stevia, but on the other hand - that
is probably also the case with Canderel's products.

Last edited: