Vaping and E-Cigs

Hummadruz

Almost two years ago I successfully managed to 'Quit the Weed' and gave up smoking after almost 35 years (I've been Type 1 on Insulin for about the same length of time). Whilst it may be a case of swapping one bad habit for another I am still getting my 'Fix' via E-Cigs (a highly recommended aid to quitting the ciggies as far as I'm concerned). Having started with tobacco flavours of 'Juice' / E-Liquid I have recently started to 'Vape' other flavours such as Apple and Banana. My glucose levels have not been too clever recently and, whilst there may be other factors, I wondered if my Vaping habit may be having a detrimental effect on my control. The Docs at my Diabetic Clinic this morning pleaded ignorance to the whole thing and could only suggest I gave it up! I wondered if there are any fellow Vapers out there who may have noted any effects on their glucose levels :?

justjay

Hummadruz said:
Almost two years ago I successfully managed to 'Quit the Weed' and gave up smoking after almost 35 years (I've been Type 1 on Insulin for about the same length of time). Whilst it may be a case of swapping one bad habit for another I am still getting my 'Fix' via E-Cigs (a highly recommended aid to quitting the ciggies as far as I'm concerned). Having started with tobacco flavours of 'Juice' / E-Liquid I have recently started to 'Vape' other flavours such as Apple and Banana. My glucose levels have not been too clever recently and, whilst there may be other factors, I wondered if my Vaping habit may be having a detrimental effect on my control. The Docs at my Diabetic Clinic this morning pleaded ignorance to the whole thing and could only suggest I gave it up! I wondered if there are any fellow Vapers out there who may have noted any effects on their glucose levels :?

Funny I asked the same question recently. I'm still not 100% certain as I'm having some real issues atm

viewtopic.php?t=39490

viewtopic.php?t=39457

Hi, I'm a type 2, having been recently diagnosed and really new to this Diabetis , but like you been a smoker all my life and gave up the dreaded weed 6 months ago.
Went onto vaping and all the flavours, which I thought was brilliant, but started to become breathless , coughing and could taste the flavours, so I stopped and now just chew sugar free nicorette gum 2 mg. I feel so much better for it. No more feeling breathless and my cough has vanished . Now my blood levels are coming down only if slowly and wondering if its the E-cigs that kept it a little high. Only gave up 2 weeks ago from vaping by the way so watch this space :) John

broncofx

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I HAVE BEEN VAPING SINCE BEGINING OF JAN THIS YR AND PRIOR TO THIS MY HBA1C WERE AROUND 50 BUT LAST TEST SHOWED A RISE TO 75 SO IS VAPING INSTEAD OF SMOKING DOING MORE HARM?? ooops sorry for shouting lol

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
when I was diagnosed around 5-6 weeks ago I specifically asked the doctor 9out of hours care) if using the e-cig could have caused the rise in blood glucose and he reassured me that this wasn't the cause of high blood glucose and that it would not affect my readings, I've had the same response form my diabetes nurse and my regular GP. I use the "juice" containing nicotine though. Has this rise started since you swapped to the other type of juice? Just as that could very well be the cause if it happened around the time you changed to just the flavoured juice. Unfortunately the doctors do not know much about the effects of vaping on diabetes pretty much like everything else it just seems to be guess work half of the time :rolleyes:

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i suck on ecigs pretty much 24/7 always the fruit flavours and have perfect numbers

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forget where I read it but I did read that nicotine of any kind can raise BS levels. I smoke a few a day and want to stop, but wouldn't have eCigs in the house because I have dogs and a dog died last week in Cornwall after chewing on a filter which contained nicotine, so I couldn't risk that. If I need help when I stop I will put a patch on my thigh. Also, when I stop smoking I don't really want to inhale nicotine, I would'ntt feel like I had given up... Just my view.

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
Not all ecigs require a msins charger. Some use usb ports on computers. Some companies supply disposable ecigs which are good for around 40 smokes. These DO NOT require any recharging and can be thrown in the bin.

I manged to give up smoking using these. I bought three in total and never finished the third one. Been off them over a year now and saved about £4000.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Woody164

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have noticed really high readings since replacing smoking with vaping. I think the fluid contains a chemical that imitates sugars and gives flawed readings.