varifocals: it's official, I'm middle-aged

dabbit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying, vegetables
As people have previously said they are expensive, and I for one can't get on with them. But then I hate changing my glasses whenever I have to read, so I am torn between the two. BTW I am fifty in a few months and have been wearing varifocals for about 6-7 years now :lol:

shirleymarye

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Sport !
My very expensive varifocals (cost £500) are made of Titanium so they are very light and you hardly notice wearing them,they also darken when outside (can't remember the name) I do get funny looks from people sometimes,especially if it's raining or snowing and no sun around ! I couldn't go back to wearing the other sort now.

banjo brunette

Just an update. Got my new varifocals today. Had my current specs reglazed to save a few bob.... I'd been a bit worried that I might not get on with them but WOW!! They're great :D . I can see clearly to read again.
Cheers, BB :D

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Glad you are pleased with your new varifocals. I have had varifocals for the past 18 months. A bit of getting used to and things aren't perfect, but neither are my eyes :lol:
I only wear them when I go out, I don't wear them in the house. I find that I can't see my laptop in the middle distance. I was told it all depends on how deep the frame is. As I like to be stylish I went for slimmer Jai Kudo plastic frames.
I couldn't be without my varifocals, I wouldn't be able to see my iPhone :lol: And yes I am 54, so middle aged :roll:
I also had a tint put on the glasses, so I can wear them all year round and not get blinded by the sun 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
banjo brunette said:
Just an update. Got my new varifocals today. Had my current specs reglazed to save a few bob.... I'd been a bit worried that I might not get on with them but WOW!! They're great :D . I can see clearly to read again.

Definitely no resemblance to Deidre then BB? Shouldn't laugh cause I have a appointment on Monday to have eye check up at specsavers, I'll probably have to remortgage the house by the time I come out. :(

Nigel

banjo brunette

Hi All
LOL :D Definitely not Deidre Barlow, though I had to wear my "school ma-am" spare pair for a week while my usual frames were reglazed. I've been into town today and I know this is COMPLETELY perverse but I was complaining to my husband that I can't remember that they're varifocals, since the transition between long/middle/distance is so smooth, and that this is downright wrong since they were so expensive and then he pointed out that that was exactly why I paid extra money for high index, narrow depth lenses in the first place :oops:

Nigel, I got the advice of my local optician, who does my eye tests and diabetic screening, about the best variocal lenses to go with for my prescription and frames. He seemed less tied to one or two brands than SpecSavers. So if they prove to be very expensive, try shopping around.... Good luck!