VATER or VACTERL

misst1mammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m 17 weeks pregnant and just found my baby might have VATER or VACTERL I’m just wondering if anyone else out there who have children with the condition or going they the same as me any help would be appreciated

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can your scans confirm how extensive the birth defect your baby has are going to be? I imagine it might be possible to confirm the degree of vertebral defect, but I'm not sure how detailed the reports on anal, trachea, oesophageal and renal birth defects might be.

misst1mammy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I’ve been for scans and they said the spine hasn’t developed properly and it might have a minor heart defect have to go back on the 10th may they give me the VATER xx

Lally123

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just replied to your other post @misst1mammy. Did the scan show vertebral abnormalities? That's what happened with my son. To hopefully put your mind at rest a little he is now 19. He had a pretty torrid time of it through childhood with endless hospital visits and admissions, he had a spinal fusion at 18 months and was in neck to hip plaster for years but that corrected his spinal deformities nicely. He's very small in height due to early fusion but otherwise looks like any other 19 year old leading a full life. His heart problems are controlled with meds. He had some renal problems but after a series of ops now has near normal kidney function just has to be careful. He is at uni, highly intelligent, did well at school and has a girlfriend and a big circle of friends. I went through hell during pregnancy so I can well understand your feelings now and was advised by many people to terminate. That was never an option for me and seeing the happy and successful young man he has become fills me with pride. So to sum up, if this is VATER you may have a tough few years ahead but you shouldn't fear it. Most of the VATER symptoms are controllable if not curable (think they include about 8 different anomalies) and it would be unlikely that your baby will have all 8, they usually.diagnose on 3. Take care .

Reactions: kitty55