1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Vegan meals

Discussion in 'Vegetarian Diet Forum' started by Enclave, Nov 27, 2015.

1. MUSHROOM NUT ROAST BUNDTS

I was excited to find this nut roast recipe as it contains no root veg or breadcrumbs. Sadly it doesn't have much taste either, but that can be easily remedied with more herbs. Maybe some marmite too. The flavour was boosted by putting some cherry relish in the bundt hole after baking.

I used half the recipe to make 6 mini bundts and baked for 30 minutes.

http://laceandcoco.com/mushroom-nut-roast-cherry-tomatoes/

CHERRY RELISH

I used this recipe, with frozen cherries and subbed the sugar for Truvia

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/28385/fresh+cherry+relish

This one is made with walnuts and rosemary so should be lovely too

http://www.janssushibar.com/fresh-cherry-relish/

[​IMG]

2. MUESLI

Inspired by forum talk of delicious muesli and granola, I made this for breakfast today :hungry:

Use any roughly chopped nuts and seeds. It should keep for weeks in a jar. I used...

desiccated coconut
    pecans
    walnuts
    hazelnuts
    sunflower seeds (without the shell)
    pinch of ground ginger
    pinch of Truvia (optional)

Dry fry/toast the nuts and seeds in a dry frying pan until they smell toasty. Add ginger and Truvia then allow the muesli to cool. I served it with a chopped strawberry and Alpro plain yogurt.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. FRY UP

Another weekend breakfast idea. I used half a carton of Yutaka silken tofu. Just whack it in the pan without pressing.

[​IMG]

Scrambled tofu - 3g carbs / 8.6g protein
    Tesco high protein toast - 10g carbs / 5.1g protein
    Tofurky Italian sausage - 2.5g carbs / 18.3g protein

• Like Like x 1
  4. Angelofthemarches

Angelofthemarches Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I luuuuurrrve avocados so much, they have saved my lchf eating on many an occasion!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@ExD also might be useful?

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. CHOCOLATE BUTTONS

I've made these to go on a pudding. Not a recipe as such, just dairy-free, high cocoa chocolate tempered then poured into a mould from ebay. But I found this video about how to easily temper chocolate to keep it crisp at room temperature. Thought it might be useful with Easter coming.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. BOUNTY BITES

I made these today for the holiday weekend. The original recipe was for bounty bars, but I made them smaller using a measuring tablespoon as a scoop. Didn't toast the coconut. They are freezable apparently.

The total recipe is for 12 bars at 4g carbs each = 48g.
    The recipe made 42 bites plus a little extra chocolate due to the larger surface area = erm...do you own maths, I'm on holiday! :p

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2016/02/29/keto-bounty-bars

[​IMG]

Ceramic egg holder dragged out of retirement for the occasion :chicken:

8. BERRY BURST MILKSHAKE

2 teaspoons of Supergreens Berry Burst
    Big glass of unsweetened Almond Breeze (only 0.2% carb)

Mix or whizz together and it tastes like strawberry milk shake! :joyful:

The Supergreens is usually superexpensive, but is on offer at the moment in Superdrug. Was £19.99 now £13.19 per 100g, plus 3 for 2, plus I sent a student for mine so got a further reduction to 3 for £23.

"If you struggle to get your 5 portions of fruit and veg every day, Supergreens Berry Burst can help as it contains all the goodness of 5 portions of fruit and veg per serving to help you top up your daily diet. This is based on the ORAC scale and each 10g of Supergreens has the equivalent of 16 servings of broccoli."

9. NEW! FARMFOODS VEGGIE KITCHEN RANGE

Tasty protein shapes. Suitable for vegans. £1.49 per pack.

BURGERS 2.4g carb / 8.7g protein per burger

SAUSAGES 5.3g carb / 14g protein per 2 sausages

MINCE 7.5g carb / 18g protein per 100g

MEATBALLS 5.6g carb / 16g protein per 100g

I tried the sausages and burgers today and I think they are my new favourites. Excuse the poor quality of the last two pictures, but I was in the middle of a freezer shop taking photos like a tourist so had to be quick :snaphappy::oops:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook