Vegetarianism and Type2 diabetes.

'V'

Hi,
I am a vegetarian and have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes since 2008. I control the condition with metformin 500mgs 3 times a day. I would like to gain more advice on how to change my diet further. I eat mainly low GI and have plateaued with my weight loss. Please can you give some more ideas how I can kick start the weight loss and some more lower carb meal ideas.

Many thanks,

'V'

MaryJ

hi V

I'm very much a meat eater so would struggle to give you advice.

have you searched through the low carb receipes on here?

I'm sure there are a number of vegetarians on the forum who will be able to give you some advice.

Good luck with it

Mary x

'V'

I would also like to add that my HbA1c is also on the increase slightly and also what is the minimum amount of food that one can eat before taking the metformin so that one can avoid the side effects.

Many thanks,

'V'

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its quite often suggested to take your metformin in the middle of your meal to prevent stomach problems. How little food, I'm not sure but I have taken it with a snack if I'm having only two main meals that day.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'll bet there's a notice board for T2 vegetarians somewhere. Try googling for it. Diabetes UK are bound to have some stuff too, but it's likely to be quite high in carbs.
Hana

WhitbyJet

Google 'lowcarb vegetarian recipes', you will get plenty of them.
Look through the low carb recipes section in this forum, there are many recipes that can be adapted, leave out the meat, replace with tofu, or seitan, or use quorn, higher in carbs, but you probably dont want to go VLC anyway.

Use nuts in your cooking, eg look at the Aubergine gratin in the recipe section, you can also make lc pasta, bit tricky at first attempt but it gets easier, so you can create all kinds of sauces and pasta bakes.

You can make low carb quiches, pies (the other day I made a lc short crust pastry pie with feta, olives and pepper filling), omelettes with veggies/cheese, etc

'V'

Hi,

Many thanks for all your replies. I have tried googling vegetarianism and type 2 diabetes with no luck. I do eat alot of nuts but I am vary because of the fat content. I am not very good with quorn but do not mind soya and tofu. any other guidance will be appreciated.

Regards,

'V'

Unbeliever

Do you get much exercise "V"? That can kick-start the weight loss. Just walking seems to be the easiest and most effective for most of us.

Elc1112

Hi V. I'm type 1 and am vegetarian. It does make low carbing quite difficult at times - you get sick of eating the same foods all the time! I also have coeliacs disease so have to avoid anything with gluten in it. Sure makes meal times fun lol

I make lots of quiches (without the pastry) and often have a slice for lunch. Loads of different salads, but thy do get a little dull. Vegetable bakes - made with low carb veg and a tomatoey sauce. I have to admit, when I say low carb I'm probably having a lot more carbs than others on here, but otherwise I end up eatin the same stuff everyday which gets really boring.

Weight wise, I find it near impossible to lose weight through diet alone so have to exercise like crazy to drop the pounds. Either that or do a week or so of the juice diet or something like that.

Em